Beaulieu 4008zm11 versus Nizo Professional

Rupe Whiteman

• Premium Member

I'm trying to make my mind up on buying one of these two cameras as both have their own attractions...

The Beaulieu takes other lenses, but doesn't do 25fps but does do 70fps, the Nizo does 25fps but the lens is fixed. The Beaulieu has a variable shutter angle, the Nizo has an interval timer etc etc...

- Has anyone tried both these cameras? - how does the image quality of the two compare? I'm not so bothered by the fact that the Beaulieu only does 24fps as I can get it telecine'd at 24 so I can keep a sync if I shoot a music promo with it...

How good is the ultra-wide angle schneider adaptor for the Nizo?

I do want to use the 200t and 500t vision stocks with these cameras - i know I can (or at least I think I know I can (!) with the Beaulieu as you can manually set the iso setting up to 400asa but can you do this with the Nizo or do you just use the manual mode and a light meter to set the stop etc etc?

There is a lot of info out there on the web but as always certain specifics are hard to find...

Help appreciated....

I'm trying to make my mind up on buying one of these two cameras as both have their own attractions...

The Beaulieu takes other lenses, but doesn't do 25fps but does do 70fps, the Nizo does 25fps but the lens is fixed. The Beaulieu has a variable shutter angle, the Nizo has an interval timer etc etc...

- Has anyone tried both these cameras? - how does the image quality of the two compare? I'm not so bothered by the fact that the Beaulieu only does 24fps as I can get it telecine'd at 24 so I can keep a sync if I shoot a music promo with it...

If I was to choose again between the two (I got a beaulieu 4008 a few years ago), I think I would actually get the nizo (admittedly I've never used or held one). The beaulieu is a really nice camera and in many ways one might say "more professional" than the nizo as it has interchangeable lenses, real ground glass focusing, a big range of fps (with the possibility of speed ramping) and nice manual controls. However, it just isn't that user friendly imho and I've never actually made use of the lens interchangeability. The shutter speed is higher than most other camera's which gives footage shot with it a slightly different look.

The advantages of the nizo from what I've read about it are: standard AA batteries (no messing around with rechargeable batteries and battery packs), and intervalometer with automatic time exposure.

The nizo has a variable shutter just like the beaulieu.

On the subject of 24fps vs 25fps some beaulieus are marked with 25fps and not 24fps (mine is) but I would doubt that it makes much difference, as i would doubt the fps are that accurate.

I have a NIZO 6080 and even tho i have very little experience with it so far.. only had it like 6 months.. still, i like all things about it.. easy to learn.. easy to use..

Its no problem to use the 200T and 500T with NIZO.. i've got 10 rolls in the fridge now waiting for some action :)

and the Ultra-wide lenses to NIZO seem to be ok IMHO.. im also thinking about getting the Ultra-wide III lens as well asap! :)

however, the real hardcore answers to these questions i can provide within a month or so when i have done some serious tests with it all.. about to shoot a music video and a short soon using NIZO 6080, Ultra-wide lenses and the 200T film stock! :))

cheers,

Edited by Benny Hardin

"The advantages of the nizo from what I've read about it are: standard AA batteries (no messing around with rechargeable batteries and battery packs), and intervalometer with automatic time exposure"

_Here is what the manual says:

Important: please note that round cells (normal batteries which cannot be recharged) are not suitable for operation of the Nizo 6080 and the Nizo 6056, even if they fit into the handgrip in a Nizo battery box instead of the Braun NC accumulator box."

I use the 6080 only with 1,2V rechargebles not just because of the manual, but because I've read about people destroying their lightmeter by using 1.3V AA .

Edited by Martin emmers

"The advantages of the nizo from what I've read about it are: standard AA batteries (no messing around with rechargeable batteries and battery packs), and intervalometer with automatic time exposure"

_Here is what the manual says:

Important: please note that round cells (normal batteries which cannot be recharged) are not suitable for operation of the Nizo 6080 and the Nizo 6056, even if they fit into the handgrip in a Nizo battery box instead of the Braun NC accumulator box."

I use the 6080 only with 1,2V rechargebles not just because of the manual, but because I've read about people destroying their lightmeter by using 1.3V AA .

Thanks but the original poster (as the title of the thread suggests) was interested in the Nizo Professional which takes six 1.5V AA batteries.

Here's a pic from the manual (available from Du-All):nizoprofessional_08.jpg

Edited by Jacob Thomas

"Thanks but the original poster (as the title of the thread suggests) was interested in the Nizo Professional which takes six 1.5V AA batteries."

Oh right, just read "6080" and "very little experience" in the posting following yours with the "no messing around with rechargeable batteries" and thought: dangerous combinaton.

but shure , you were talking about the professional, never mind !

Edited by Martin emmers

good luck with the new camera! :) -- what NIZO did you get? .. I've got the NIZO 6080 myself :D

..and please, oh please post some test-footage later on from the Vision stock rolls.. i'd love to see some :)

cheers,

Edited by Benny Hardin

• Premium Member
good luck with the new camera! :) -- what NIZO did you get? .. I've got the NIZO 6080 myself :D

..and please, oh please post some test-footage later on from the Vision stock rolls.. i'd love to see some :)

cheers,

Will do - it'll probably be a few weeks... I bought the Nizo professional as stated, not sure if it has a specific model number though just know it's meant to be the best one they made... I'll be doing some lighting tests with it and then get it tk'd to dvcam and a print too probably... I bought the Nizo from super8camera-shop.com in Germany by the way... he has a pretty good stock list. I should get the delivery in the next day or so...

• Premium Member
... I bought the Nizo from super8camera-shop.com in Germany by the way... he has a pretty good stock list. I should get the delivery in the next day or so...

I bought my 4056 from them, it arrived in excellent working and cosmetic condition. They seem to be a pretty good operation.

Will do - it'll probably be a few weeks... I bought the Nizo professional as stated, not sure if it has a specific model number though just know it's meant to be the best one they made... I'll be doing some lighting tests with it and then get it tk'd to dvcam and a print too probably... I bought the Nizo from super8camera-shop.com in Germany by the way... he has a pretty good stock list. I should get the delivery in the next day or so...

yes, i bought my NIZO 6080 from that place and its flawless and in perfect condition, he even packed it so good i'd think that you could've thrown the package down a mountain and the camera would still have been working when unpacked! :)

I bought my 4056 from them, it arrived in excellent working and cosmetic condition. They seem to be a pretty good operation.

i agree, its a very good place to buy super8 cameras indeed :)

cheers,