HVX+MINI35+GYRO+LightZOOM+ZOOM CONTROL+WIRELESS FOLLOW FOCUS+MONITOR

Chayse Irvin ASC, CSC

Looking to do a shoot with the HVX + mini35. The shoot is handheld and I really hate the HVX's LCD position because to view it your moving the camera forward and it becomes really front heavy and uncomfortable. I want to rig it with this Gyro Rig for traveling footage. Any ideas on how to create a balanced comfortable camera with this rig? It needs to include a Mini35 w/ a small light wieght cine zoom, zoom control, wireless follow focus, and a monitor for the operator to use. Is it to much to ask for?

• Premium Member
Is it to much to ask for?

Yes. :P

It sounds like another Rube Goldberg contraption in the making.

For all the weight, acessories, optical compromises and bizarre ergonomics/rigging involved, you're better off looking for a simpler solution (i.e. a different camera). Assuming you would have to rent at least some of the gear, put that money toward renting an HDX-900 or Varicam with a good ENG/HD zoom. That's the kind of thing they're designed for.

How fast is this "lightweight cine zoom" anyway? If it's not at least a T/2.8 you're not getting much advantage from the 35 adapter anyway.

Were shooting most the film handheld with Varicam + Pro35, but for this traveling stuff the varicam + Pro35 is even bigger then this other rig. But as far as cine lenses go I was thinking Angenieux OPTIMO 15 - 40 at T2.6. Varicam with a Zeiss DIGIZOOM 6-24MM T1.9 might give me what I need though, nice close focus so I can simulate some really shallow DOF stuff, it would probably be less cumbersome and easier to maneuver then the HVX w/ pro35, It would work better for my car mount stuff, and I could throw that gyro rig and some hand grips on there. Might cost a little more tho. Those Digizooms are expensive, and I'm not sure if Clairmont even has them. Thanks for the advice Michael. You?re a genius. Well see if production has the $$$.

• Premium Member

An afterthought: how would you even power the zoom motor and wireless followfocus with an HVX?

There may be less expensive zooms to use with the Varicam than the Zeiss though, that open up as much or more. Remember, the Pro35 adapter is reducing your contrast and resolution, so you don't need the pristine sharpness and contrast of the Zeiss glass to match. Look at Canon and Fujinon zooms -- they make a variety of good lenses that will probably give you the focal range and speed you need.

I suggested an ENG-style lens for handheld because it bypasses the need for separate zoom and focus motors. The operator does the focus pulling if he's up to the task. It just depends on the nature of your shoot.

I would agree that the better solution would be to try to stick with the bigger camera, but if you really want to use the HVX200 then I would suggest rigging out using a MOVIEtube ST. It is designed for handheld use -- far more comfortable in this mode than the Mini35 and you really don't need the gyro. It also has a proper viewfinder so you can forget about the little flipout LCD. And the battery mount allows the powering of accessories such as a Bartech wireless followfocus or a microforce. I've set it up with the little Optimo and it makes for a neat little package that is comfortable to handhold all day long and is not "Rube Goldberg" at all. Info on the MOVIEtube ST & LT is on our website and you can feel free to contact me directly with any questions.