Shooting film of DLP projection

Frank Barrera

• Premium Member

Shooting S16MM at 24fps of an actor standing in the beam of an image playing down from a DLP projector. Will there be any flicker? I have no idea how these projectors work. Anyone?

thanks much

• Premium Member
Shooting S16MM at 24fps of an actor standing in the beam of an image playing down from a DLP projector. Will there be any flicker? I have no idea how these projectors work. Anyone?

thanks much

DLP's get their dynamic range by duty cycle modulating the individual colors for each pixel. The possible different algorithms to do that must number in the gazillions, and could be changed as software updates. Bottom line, the only thing to do is test with the actual playback material and projector to be used. That being said, most of them probably switch fast enough as not to be a problem.

-- J.S.

I wouldn't see any reason for there to be any flicker with film

What do you think the film shutter does? The question is whether the projection of a video image would cause problems on the screen. Are you projecting things off a computer? Then maybe you can full around with the cycle speed or whatever it's called. Personally you need to run tests and maybe fool around with shutter speeds, especially if the actor is just staying still or something.

You should not have any flicker problems. I've shot DLP projections without changing the shutter and had no flicker problem. I even shot a film with an image slide show burned to DVD and projected through an older DLP projecter, the stills were on screen for long periods of time with no flicker what so ever. Also, they looked beautiful in the final film, crystal clear and solid.

Good Shooting!

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I've set up a rear projection test with a Dell MP5100 DLP projector and a Red, and I'm experiencing a lot of flicker at 1/48th shutter. It looks tolerable at 355 degree shutter, but I don't want to make that choice creatively. I'd rather shoot 180 degree. Any ideas? Is this a projector issue or a electronic shutter issue.

Also we noticed alot of RGB strobing on forground objects moving through the frame as you can see in this image:

post-30369-1197608429.jpg

Ian Bloom

Edited by Ian Bloom

• 3 years later...

I am about to shoot a live ballet with lots of DLP projections and some LCD projections involved in the staging. I am shooting with 3 HVX200s, and will have very limited time to run tests before filming begins - so if anyone has some initial insights on what I should expect and how to go about this I would love to hear it!!!

Cheers,

James

• 1 year later...