Day for Night

Kenneth Kotowski

• Premium Member
Hey there,

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to shoot Day for Night with the dvx?

Thanks,

-ken-

Underexposed it until you feel it looks like night. Possibly keep the camera set for tungsten, so the daylight appears blue. Try not to get any sky in the shot and try to keep the sun as a backlight. Make sure the sunlight doesn't clip and avoid overcast days if you can. Overcast day for night hasn't worked too well for me in the past.

As long as you don?t use any practicals (like a flashlight or something), it?ll be fine. Trouble is, day for night usually looks like day for night no matter how well you pull it off.

Underexposed it until you feel it looks like night. Possibly keep the camera set for tungsten, so the daylight appears blue. Try not to get any sky in the shot and try to keep the sun as a backlight. Make sure the sunlight doesn't clip and avoid overcast days if you can. Overcast day for night hasn't worked too well for me in the past.

As long as you don?t use any practicals (like a flashlight or something), it?ll be fine. Trouble is, day for night usually looks like day for night no matter how well you pull it off.

Thanks Justin,

I'm not trying to avoid the look of day for night, I know there's no avoiding it, and it serves the campy cheese factor of the story. I just wanted to see how many tricks and techniques are out there for me to try. I also want to avoid as much work as possible in post.

-ken-