Best Hi-end camera?

Amethyst

Hey,

I'm new here and was just looking into buying a nice hi-end camcorder. I was told a lot about a few different models but I was looking at one that was used to shoot the movie "28 days later"...is that any good? Are there some solid facts I can see on a site or something about the best stuff out there? Thanks!

What is your budget?

As you can see from this fairly complete list of "high-end" video cameras, they wildly range in price.

A very popular "prosumer" model is the Panasonic DVX-100A. Great image quality at a reasonable price. The camera used to shoot 28 Days Later, Canon XL1, is outdated technology (that, honestly, wasn't even that great to begin with). It has been replaced by the XL2, which I can't say much about since it is quite new.

I think it was the panasonic AJ900 that looked pretty nifty...only $65,000

Hopefully you notice the sarcasm..but this is a guy who still uses an analog camera because I'm a loser, poor, and like it :) Be sure you don't buy anything before you get a good pespective of what actually is high end.

But to answer your question more directly... I would suggest skipping miniDV altogether and get either a DVCAM or a DVCPRO (D7) camera...provided it's dockable or has SDI or atleast BNC outs and interchangeable lenses and 1/2" 3CCD.

Quality (Top is worst):

Model: --------- Rental Price (Day): -------- Buy Price (w/ Accessories):

Canon XL1 --------- $150.00 ------- $2,000.00

DVX-100A -------- $175.00 -------- $3,000.00

Canon XL2 --------- $250.00??? ------- $5,000.00

Sony 570 ------- $400.00 -------- $28,000.00

Panasonic SDX-900 ------- $500.00 ------- $42,000.00

Vericam ------- $900.00 ------- $130,000.00

Sony HDW-F900 ------ $1,200.00 -------- $170,,000.00

Sony HDC-F950 --------- $2,000.00 ----- $190,000.00

Viper Film Stream ---------- $1,400.00 ----------- $170,000.00

**** Prices in Rental and Sale are only Estimates. and are not meant as actually Prices****

*** In the Rental Price, I AM NOT including ANY accessoies with those prices. Just the Camera Body.

***Accessories (With sale Price) incudes: Camera Quality Lense, and general equipment that makes the camera useable as a movie making camera.***

Quality (Top is worst):

Model:              ---------            Rental Price (Day):    --------        Buy Price (w/ Accessories):

Canon XL1        ---------                  $150.00              -------                  $2,000.00

DVX-100A            --------              $175.00              --------                $3,000.00

Canon XL2                ---------          $250.00???        -------                  $5,000.00

Sony 570                  -------          $400.00                  --------              $28,000.00

Panasonic SDX-900      -------        $500.00        -------                        $42,000.00

Vericam                      -------      $900.00            -------                    $85,000.00

Sony HDW-F900        ------          $1,200.00            --------                  $110,000.00

Sony HDC-F950        ---------            $2,000.00          -----                    $130,000.00

Viper Film Stream  ----------              $1,400.00        -----------          $130,000.00

**** Prices in Rental and Sale are only Estimates. and are not meant as actually Prices****

***Accessories incudes: Camera Quality Lense, and general equipment that makes the camera useable as a movie making camera.***

Those are the main cameras used in low budget Video Productions. There are others, but these are the really good ones in there quality range.

Um, do you plan on using any lenses with those cameras?

You should do some more research before you post prices. You're not even close on most of those. The prices you quote won't even get you an lens and a monitor...maybe a battery or two.

You need to DOUBLE everything from the SDX900 on up.

Try to maintain some credibility.

Just so you know, an decent HD zoom lens STARTS at about $32k.

You need to DOUBLE everything from the SDX900 on up.

For what? Rental? IF so. I was ONLY including the camera body in the rental price! Of course if you want to get a loaded rental then you can double that. For instance. SAFER SEAS offered me a nicely loaded SDX-900 for $42,000.00....

Now you are right to an extent. I did not post the proper prices after looking at them. A few things from the Vericam up should be more.

So, I'll amend the post the change to the proper prices....