Filter for Nikon R-10 using Fugi Velvia 50 D

Tanner Almon

Hi, next week I would like to shoot a test roll with a Nikon R-10 for a project that I am hoping to shoot soon. My test will be shot all outdoors in the desert. I will be shooting with Velvia 50D.

My question is this. I really would like my skys to pop (be really blue), and thus I am thinking about getting a Polarizer filter for my lens.

Here are my three questions...

1. Is a Polarizer filter the correct filter for getting bluer skys.

2. Is there a specific filter anyone would recommend that would fit the R-10.

3. Using the Velvia would I need to use the R-10s filter key or leave it out? This really confuses me.

That's pretty much it I guess. If anyone has any input at all I would definitely appreciate it.

Cheers!

Tanner

• Premium Member

Hi Tanner,

You need to USE the R10 filter key because Velvia is a daylight balanced film. If you don't use the filter key to remove the 85 amber filter your footage will look orange.

You might consider a circular polarizer. They allow you to *focus in* the blue of the sky, but your best blue will be shooting when the sun is at a 30 degree angle or less behind the camera. (the golden hour and approaching)

Velvia renders blue skies as well as any film on the planet. I think you will be okay without a filter as long as you shoot when the light is right..

hope this helps,

Steve

Edited by steve hyde

Steve,

Thank you so much for writing back so soon. Your advice is exactly what I was looking for. I do have one quick question about the filter key. Unfortunately I do not have one, but I have read on here that a quarter would work. I was just wondering if you (or any one else) has had actual hands on experience of using a quarter as the filter key with the R-10.

Thanks again,

Tanner