2.5 HMI Fresnels

I was wondering if anyone has tried attaching the 60amp bates from a 2.5 to a 12/3 cable with a medical grade hubble and then plugging a 2.5 into a standard 20amp circuit. I've heard from some that is fairly safe but I'm just looking for further input. I'm new to HMI's and I was wondering about the magnetic ballast vs electrical issue as well as flicker issues. The HMI's are Desisti. Any known complaints?

• Premium Member

If you are in the USA, then a 2.5k HMI is pulling more than 20amps (or so close that when you strike the ballast, it will blow the breaker). Thus no, you should not power a 2.5k in the way you are proposing.

Kevin Zanit

That was my first thought but I heard from some electricians that a 20 amp circuit won't trip till you put over 25 amps on it. A 2.5 is supposed to draw 23. I know it's cutting it close but I'm just looking for a way to avoid the hassle of a gennie. Why the heck did someone come up with a light like this that's just over the limit? It really sucks.

why not use 2 1200's instead.? Or find a stove or dryer plug rated over 30amps. A rental house should have a Bates to dryer pulg adapter laying around.

Both these options are way safer than what you are talking about. Breakers are there for a reason.

cheers

Chris

I have seen it done many times. The trick is it has to be a magnetic ballast (they draw less). It has always been on older gear...? I don't know why. It can be sketchy, the breaker can pop at any second!!!! As long as you have time to re-patch and wait for a hot re-strike!

Another idea is that Arri is making "ALF" ballasts that are more efficient that may draw less than 20amps. I don't know, but they might!

Have a good shoot!

Rich

Another thought, you said fresnell. I am assuming you want a sharp beam, try to get an "Arri single ended 1200 fresnell" It will be as bright as a standard 2500 frez (double ended). I own 2 of the Arris for that reason! If you need soft light go 1200 par, it's brighter.

Cheers,

Rich

Edited by Rich Schaefer

I was wondering if anyone has tried attaching the 60amp bates from a 2.5 to a 12/3 cable with a medical grade hubble and then plugging a 2.5 into a standard 20amp circuit.

A 12/3 cable isn't rated for that kind of amperage, you need to use 10 gauge conductors. Using a "Hospital Grade" connector is irrelevant to the task, the rating relates to the material in the connector and the amount of force required to pull it from a mating receptical. If the ballast will auto-adjust to the line voltage, you may be able to power it from a 220v range outlet, or if the location has an electric clothes dryer, the 220v dryer outlet.