Billing a Client

Hello Everyone,

I have a question about billing a client. I usually work on low budget stuff where I get a handfull of crushed and crumpled bills shoved into my hands at the end of the day...or work for a Production that goes through a payroll company and in turn, get a shiny new check in a few weeks...

However, my latest employer asked me to create an invoice for the work I'm doing.

Does anyone know of any basic templates or printable sheets that I can get off the internet, so I don't have to hand him a ripped out piece of notebook paper, chads hanging loosely, with the words "pay me $250 dollars" scrawled in crayon across it.

I'm sure I could type something up on my comp relatively quickly...but if anyone has any tips or help it would be greatly appreciated...

It was a flat day rate...

Thanks in advance,

John Carreon

• Premium Member

A printed letter is fine, as long as the info is clear and easy to understand. If you like, office supply stores carry pre-printed forms you simply fill in and rip out of the book, like a bill you might get from a plumber...

Be as thorough and precise as you can with your contact info, the client's info, and the job info (date, project title, services rendered, amount breakdowns, etc.)

I created my own invoice template using MS Word. I'll try to copy it here so you get the general gist of it, but in general, you want your name, address, contact info. An invoice number. A space for a job number (provided by the company if applicable). Their address and contact info. A place for how many days worked. A space for details such as actual dates worked, what your title on the job was, who the "Producer" that day was, where you shot, and I like to include all the details about what we did (ie, interview with so-and-so, B-roll of whatever, prepped gear, wrapped gear, travel from here to there, etc.)

Of course you need a space for dayrate and a place for totals (dayrate x days worked). I have a separate line for OT with the details of how I arrive at my total (2 hrs OT at 1.5x, 2 hrs OT at 2x).

For tax purposes, create an entirely separate invoice for any equipment rentals you may be charging them. That will help them create an appropriate 1099 at the end of the year so that your equipment income isn't lumped in with your "wages."

Have a grand total at the bottom of your invoice. I have a nice "Thank you!" also along with a pretty picture of cameras so that my invoice doesn't look so cold and forgettable.

It looks something like this (but nicer in Word with columns, rows, and shading ) The formatting doesn't hold in this forum box, but the info you need is there. :)

INVOICE

No.: 010107

Date: March 16, 2007 Job #/PO #

Brian Dzyak

Address

Phone

email

website

TO:

Client

Address

Phone

email

DAYS DESCRIPTION RATE TOTAL

1 01/26/07

Director of Photography $day rate for 10hrs $total

The Spirit of Dubai

Equipment prep/travel

LAX ? London ? Dubai

9 01/27/07 ? 2/04/07 $day rate for 10hrs $total

Director of Photography

The Spirit of Dubai

Clive (owner) move-in

Handover Team

Nakheel B-roll

President of Yemen arrival

Marketing meeting

Model room B-roll

Snagging excursion on island at Villa with Troy

Aussie mtg about Trump tower

Blimp Terminal progress

Scout ATLANTIS building location

Shoot map room b-roll

On site walking interview with tunnel managers in

tunnel and on top of tunnel

TOTAL DUE $total due from above

Please make all checks payable to: Brian Dzyak

THANK YOU!

If you have to invoice a lot or even a few times a month, have a look at Blinksale.com. I've been using the site for about a year now and really like it. It's basically an online billing system allow you to send invoices, keeps track of everyone that you bill, when the invoice is due and sends reminder emails if the payment is overdue.

It's about $10 a month.

I highly recommend it.

Shane.

Having some latent Geek-like tendancies, I learned to do basic spreadsheets in MS Works. I have all the different expenses such as hourly, half day, full day rates, cost per tape, and even mileage. It adds everything up, and gives you the final total. For those who hate doing their own spread sheets, there are all sorts of premade and changeable templates online.