Chidren of Men

Rupe Whiteman

• Premium Member

Just watched this again on dvd... there are a few scenes with a number of fires in the frame but the flames are burning bright white and not warm/orangey as norm. 'Just wondering if anyone knows is this has been achieved with over-exposure, filtration, neg proesses, in the d.i. or by using white burning/very hot propellants?

Curious to know...

Just watched this again on dvd... there are a few scenes with a number of fires in the frame but the flames are burning bright white and not warm/orangey as norm. 'Just wondering if anyone knows is this has been achieved with over-exposure, filtration, neg proesses, in the d.i. or by using white burning/very hot propellants?

Curious to know...

haven't seen the film but it sounds to me like the cinematographer used the fires as actual sources of filming light thus rendering them way overexposed.

• Premium Member

I think I recall a piece in ASC by a cinematographer who said he shot flames at f4 to get them to come out 'orangey' whereas if he'd lit to 2.8 or under they turned out white. Will try to find the article