Fuji-64D 8622/ Kodak 7245

Hi;

I recently shot some tests with Kodak 7245 for a director in the Spanish sunshine. She wanted hi saturation and tight grain and she got it. She has since got a great deal going with Fuji (50% cut!) and has asked me to shoot the rest of her film in october. I've never used Fuji stock before and was wondering how the 64D 8622 compares and mixes with Kodak 7245 as she wants to cut in some of the test shots we made, again we are going for rich color and tight grain (lots of yellows, reds and greens in the landscape and set.) I'm kinda hoping the Fuji will look very similar as this film all takes place on a mountain in full sun with no major scene changes, we will often use a Tiffen Ultra Pol filter.

Thanks

Olly

• Premium Member

F-64D is a pretty stock. It has a more "natural" (i.e. lower) contrast than EXR 50D '45 -- it even has less contrast than Fuji's F-125T.

I think in a side-by-side comparison, you'd find that the F-64D felt slightly softer, cooler, less snappy compared to 7245. More "realistic" perhaps. In a telecine bay, I think one could match them fairly well. But it sounds like 7245 is more like the look you want.

To me, '45 is an amazing stock, whereas F-64D is a nice stock that looks like you'd expect something that slow to look. '45 almost has a chrome slide film look to it in comparison, which is why I tend to think of F-64D seeming more realistic in comparison.

I think Kodak has a nice balance now that you have a choice between the look of '45 versus the look of '12 for day exterior work. It's sort of the reverse with Fuji since F-64D is less contrasty than F-125T (which makes more sense in some ways -- Fuji designed F-64D with outdoor shooting in mind, so lowered the contrast.)

Hmmm.... Thanks guys;

I have to say the chrome slide hi con look as David Mullen described it was exactly what appealed to me so much in our tests (the digi-beta transfer looked like 35mm to my eyes and this was with an old Switar 10mm lens!) I think I'd really miss those differences even if subtle, not that I have anything against More natural softer looks but for this "hot" looking film 7245 is perfect. I think I may try talking her into stumping up the cash for the Kodak but as this is ending on a digi-beta master we can always push things around if we have to, I just like the idea of getting it on the neg.

Olly