lubricating a bolex

Jeremy Rumas

Hello

I'm currently traveling with my Bolex Rex5, right now on the Big Island of Hawaii, staying on a boat. Not the most ideal conditions for camera gear. I was shooting pixelation manually yesterday on the peak of the island, 13,700 feet up where it was close to freezing(it gets covered in snow up there at times), by hand, not using a time lapse motor. As it got colder out toward sunset, the exposure lever did not want to move smoothly, and it got stuck a few times. This has also happened a few times when shooting pixelation in moderate temperatures, but it was worst yesterday.

Are there any easy and safe ways to lubricate this? What kind of oil/grease should I use? I can't send my camera away right now.

thanks

Jeremy Rumas

pixelation = timelapse ???

anyways - yep I've heard my RX4 did some duty in Russia where apparently seized up in the snow before I owned it ... I'll have a chat with the local Bolex tech as to which parts are choking, but the short answer is no there isn't a quick and easy way to lube your Bolex..

At the least you have remove the shutter assembly, which involves syncing it up again with the pull-down upon reassembly- a more elaborate (proper) intervention involves removing the insides and having to repaint the light light proof gunk around the housing (or just use tape)...

And then the low temp seizing may just be a design problem that no amount of lube (or removal of lube) would fix anyhoo ...

But - I'll have a chat with the bolex tech one day soon

Nick,

Thanks for the info. Back down in the lower elevations and moderate temperatures the trigger is working better. But I would like to get it working smoother. It also seems that towrds the end of a wind, it gets stuck easier.

pixelation = time lapse???

Are you joking around here? Well, I think I am using the correct terms. Back in the day, shooting one frame at a time was referred to as pixelation. Maybe some old timers can explain further, or correct me. I know I have seen some info on the net somewhere about this. I can't remember why it was called this.

Jeremy

Nick,

Thanks for the info. Back down in the lower elevations and moderate temperatures the trigger is working better. But I would like to get it working smoother. It also seems that towrds the end of a wind, it gets stuck easier.

pixelation = time lapse???

Are you joking around here? Well, I think I am using the correct terms. Back in the day, shooting one frame at a time was referred to as pixelation. Maybe some old timers can explain further, or correct me. I know I have seen some info on the net somewhere about this. I can't remember why it was called this.

Jeremy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixilation

Regards

Don