About Film Stock...

Thomas Smith

What Film stock Michael Ballhaus used in "Goodfellas" ?

I have to reproduce the lighting of a secuence from that movie, If someone has technical information about it, please post here.

Thanks.

Edited by Thomas Smith

• Premium Member

Even though Balhaus did shoot some movies on Agfa around that time, this movie was probably shot on the Kodak color negative of that year. Since the movie came out in 1990, it was probably shot in 1989.

In 1989, the first EXR 500T stock came out, 5296, athough the graininess of the movie suggests the older 5294 or 5295 stocks (both 400 ASA, '95 was a slightly higher-contrast stock originally made for bluescreen work and thus was a little finer-grained than 5294. Both were obsoleted by 5296.)

But are you shooting in 35mm like the original?

Even though Balhaus did shoot some movies on Agfa around that time, this movie was probably shot on the Kodak color negative of that year. Since the movie came out in 1990, it was probably shot in 1989.

In 1989, the first EXR 500T stock came out, 5296, athough the graininess of the movie suggests the older 5294 or 5295 stocks (both 400 ASA, '95 was a slightly higher-contrast stock originally made for bluescreen work and thus was a little finer-grained than 5294. Both were obsoleted by 5296.)

But are you shooting in 35mm like the original?

Thanx for the information.

Yes I´m shooting in 35mm, and i have to do a night scene.