Lighting Advice for TV Class Final

Greetings everyone!

I've come here looking for advice from some experienced professionals on my lighting setup for my final project in my Film 155 class (1st Year Television). For my final, I have chosen to recreate the kitchen scene from the movie Garden State with the characters Andrew, Mark, Mark's Mom, and Tim.

This is the scene where Andrew wakes up after partying with Mark to find a man walking around in a suit of armor. Which is then followed by all the characters seated together in the dining room having breakfast. We are allowed one cut in the production, which would be the cut from those two scenes.

I am changing around the set a little to better suit the studio we will be shooting in. The set with the couch will be a little darker then the dining room and have rays of light poking though the windows which are going to be covered up with hole-y curtains.

The dining room set will be brighter with a window in the corner with light shining though it as well.

Both sets will have soft lighting for the interiors and for the light coming though the windows will be hard light gelled with I believe straw-yellow.

All lights are computer controlled and are fully dimmable.

Any Advice to my current set up will be greatly welcomed as will as any critiques!

GardenStateLightingPlan.jpg

I seem to recall the lighting in that scene being more bluish, as in early morning/sky light streaming through the windows blue. And that one window being the main source.

I see you already have the bounce card outside the window which will work good creating the illusion of a blown out daytime exterior. But you may want to consider switching out that 500 in the kitchen for a diffused and completedly flooded 1k, and gelling your lights with 1/4 or 1/2 CTB. And incorporating those other 1k's in the room for each shot, by just bounce them in for some extra fill.

At the moment, the direction each of your lights is pointed at seems strange. Try and simplify things and if you can, get some broader sources with some diffusion, and it should turn out nice.

Thanks Joathan for the input.

I replaced the 500 in the kitchen with another 1k. I am considering adding a 500 for behind the couch to act as the backlight for our character Andrew I will also look into gelling the lights with probally the 1/4 CTB.

I hopfully will get into the studio to do a lighting test soon and I will do a revised lighting plan after that.

Thanks again.

Justin