Record and Erase

Guest James Westbrook

Guest stoop

Next week I will be shooting "record and erase" a pretty cool short film shot around North London. Many of you will have followed my k3 music video post, so this is going to be my "second time on 16mm"

It's my most ambitious project to date; hopefully I can pull it off.

Going to be shooting for 3 days with an Eclair NPR that's been converted to PL mount and super 16mm. Although I have assisted many times with primes, this will be my first time using them as DOP. I have chosen 9.5, 16, 25mm T1.3 Distagons. I'm hoping the 9.5 will cover super 16, I have read varied opinions on this. Shooting mostly 7218.

I have quite a few challenging set-ups on this shoot. The first will be inside a Taxi. I'm going to ND the rear and side windows, I will then Run a 2ft Kino for some fill from a car battery via an inverter. Anybody got any clues on how long this will last before the battery gives up??

I have a long scene down an alley. It's not pitch black, there is a little ambient light from shop windows etc. I'm going to rig up a string of DIY Chinese lanterns. I don't want to fake moonlight so I will gel them maybe to represent some neon signs, which are above. I have a few 2k's also which I will punch in. Even though the small alley should bounce the light around a bit, I'm not going to be able to light a large area. The action is going to have to take place quite close, the Director is happy with this - he and I really didn't want to do day for night. I am slightly worried about shooting wide-open hand held as regards focus.

Another scene is in a shop in which I will keep the fluorescent light fixtures. I love that green look. Plenty of other scenes in bars and bedrooms - so it will certainly be interesting.

Any suggestions would be of great help!

It's going to be hard work, wish me luck LOL!!

James that sound like fun

Where did you get the NPR converted, also how is the use of teh cam= how much you like it?

thanks....

I buying an NPR and I will converted to S16 by Les Bosher that's why I'm curious about your project

good luckl!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest James Westbrook

Just thought I would post some 'making of' shots from my latest short. Feel free to ask any questions.

Cheers

p.s Super 16 PL mount Eclairs rock

DSC_5854.jpg

DSC_5868.jpg

DSC_6003.jpg

DSC_6014.jpg

DSC_6065.jpg

DSC_6113.jpg

DSC_6210.jpg

DSC_6262.jpg

some more....

large-9.jpg