2.35 Frame Markers in Viewfinder?

darrin p nim

• Premium Member

There is a menu item in the Varicam (probably in the viewfinder section, on the same page with "marker") that allows you to change your safe action "box." "Vista" is 1.85:1, "CNSCO" (Cinemascope) is 2.35:1. Check against a framing chart that they are indeed giving you the right aspect ratio.

These are just for framing, right? They don't actually change what's being recorded??? So, if I want to be more "cinematic" I can frame for 1:1.85 and then mask down to that framing in post?

It doesn't record with the markers. It will record 16:9 and you have to matte it in post. However I think there is a large difference from 1.85 to 2.35, your compositions would be compromised if you switched from the two in post. 16:9 (1.78) and 1.85 are much closer in aspect ratio and you could change between the two much easier with just a little reframing. However I was preping a project this January where we wanted 2.35 film out but were concerned about having TV buyers wanting 16:9 for TV release. We came up with placing our frame lines at the top of the viewfinder (Which I think you can do with a F900) so that our compositions in regard to headroom would remain constant and if we did open up to 16:9, it would only affect the bottom part of the frame. It?s not the greatest compromise but better then not doing it in my opinion. Can't remember what doing that is called nor if you can do that on a Varicam.

• Premium Member
These are just for framing, right? They don't actually change what's being recorded??? So, if I want to be more "cinematic" I can frame for 1:1.85 and then mask down to that framing in post?

That's correct. The Varicam is a native 16X9 chip (1.78:1) so you need to chop off the top and bottom a little bit to get to 1.85:1 and a lot to get to 2.35:1. The same goes with the Sony CineAlta. Only the Viper does native 2.37:1.

Can't remember what doing that is called nor if you can do that on a Varicam.

It's called using a common top line. but i don't know if you can shift the markers in the Varicam viewfinder...

It's called using a common top line.

Thanks Frank.

This would be really usefull to know as well....Im planning to matte a short Im shooting on the HVX in a month to 2:35 and it would be really nice if I didnt have to tape off the lcd screen.

The HVX doesn't have frame lines like these other cameras from what I know of. Another DP on here named Norm Li used to have pro stickers made for DVX LCD viewfinder and HVX alike. Not sure where he got them from tho.

Thanks for the info, the Varicam comes with the preset CNSCO "Cinescope". We were able to utilize that and for the HDX we were able to set up a frame chart and set the marks in the VF according. I can find out exactly how when i talk to my AC. I could find out myself but he already knows how to get to the menu setting. Ill let you guys know as soon as i can.