Anamorphic lenses on video

Thomas Smith

We are going to shoot a feature with a very low budget, and i´m going to use a HVX 200, with a Brevis adapter and Lomo anamorphic, but we don´t know what´s going to happen. Because the director wants the film 2.35.

Edited by Thomas Smith

• Premium Member
We are going to shoot a feature with a very low budget, and i´m going to use a HVX 200, with a Brevis adapter and Lomo anamorphic, but we don´t know what´s going to happen. Because the director wants the film 2.35.

There's no real point to using a normal cine anamorphic lens on an HD camera if you want a 2.35 image -- it has a 2X squeeze, which means on a 16x9 HD (1.78 : 1) camera, you get a 3.56 : 1 image when unsqueezed. You'd basically be cropping the 16x9 width down to less than 4x3 if you had a 2X optical squeeze to the image.

What you would need is an anamorphic lens with a 1.33X squeeze, which doesn't really exist yet.

You're better off just framing for cropping to 2.35, that way you also have a separate 16x9 full-frame HD master for TV deliverables where they don't want any letterboxing.

You're better off just framing for cropping to 2.35, that way you also have a separate 16x9 full-frame HD master for TV deliverables where they don't want any letterboxing.

Thanx David i think that´s the solution.