The Jim Jones of cameras

Walter Graff

I can't imagine that anyone would approach a client that way (ranting about ultra hi def). I've certainly never sold a job with that approach and I can't remember seeing anyone else talk like that. Most of the time my clients don't understand anything about those issues but they DO understand seeing good examples of work.

Edited by Warren Shultz

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I find some of these posts so annoying because I understand these guys' dreams.

When I started out with a single-tube camera, finally moving to a 3-tube camera, and then to chips and then higher quality DV, I was always frustrated at each stage that I could not achieve that high-end look that the big guys were getting--they always could do things I couldn't. I could achieve better quality with lighting or a better green screen with massage and tricks but it wasn't where I wanted to go. I believe many of those guys being disparaged see the chance to have a piece of gear that will at least allow them to have the option to get that better look they've been trying to achieve. I've never heard any of them talk like they'll become instant DPs and it'll happen just by turning the camera on. I think they KNOW they have lots to learn.

I mean yes in the future someone will probably invent a camera that is so automated that it will be impossible to take a bad picture with it. Already there is talk about the capability to individually expose blocks of pixels so it will become impossible to blowout highlights or underexpose images. However the Red camera does not even have automatic focus on the lens so it will still take a lot of skill to operate it but at least the camera will not be short of its potentials.