24p vs. 24p advanced

Chuck Kinnane

Basically, it depends what you wnat to shoot and how you are planning on extracting for edit or film-out.

Shoot 24p (standard) to get the film look on video if you plan on staying on video and editing at 29.97. Also, you can use it for intercutting with film transfers also using 3:2 pulldown, and staying on video at 29.97. Or for working with traditional film-on-tape tools that understand 3:2 pulldown, but not 2:3:3:2 advanced pulldown, when you need to extract the 24p footage for true 24p processing.

Shoot 24p (advanced) for post-production tools that understand advanced pulldown. It can be turned into pure 24p footage much more cleanly than standard 24p. This is because every frame in pure 24p is pulled from whole frame in 24p Advanced footage, while the C frame in 24p standard is split across 2 different source frames.

Hope that helps! :)

Dan Goldberg..

Dan's spot on there. The only thing I would add is that advance mode duplicates the 4th frame to make the 5th, and then inserts a flag denoting its a duplicate frame. Then the edit system automatically removes the extra frame during capture leaving you with a 23.976 video source made up of all real frames (not interlaced/interpolated, just frame for frame 24p)

To which camera does this pertain? All? I have an XL2. . .so are you saying that 24pA is always better than 24p, if your NLE can handle it? I was under the impression neither one made a better/cleaner picture in the end, just that they had different uses.

Yeah. . .

Here's how I've heard it. . .

24p is edited in a 60i/30fps timeline, good for mixing with 60/30fps footage, for TV, interlaced DVDs

24pA edited in a 24p timeline, good for filmout, progress 24p DVDs, can be converted back to 24p standard.

It sounds like someone said that 24pA will get you a cleaner look in the end, just want to see if that's confirmed.

• 2 weeks later...