Sony MSW-900 IMX

Thomas Lee

I'm going to work as an assitant camera/focus puller for three shorts using this camera. The DP doesn't know anything about video and I haven't worked with an IMX-camera before. But I do have som experience with other similiar cameras.

So I have a couple of questions:

Is there a specified ASA-value for this camera?

What shutterspeed shoud I choose. 1/50?

Is the standard lens o.k when pulling focus?

Any other tips/suggestions or quirks for this camera?

Thankful for any help!

/Thomas Lee

Well the shutter speed depends on what you want, 1/50 can work.

With a clean post path & film out we were using this as ~ 800 speed camera (0 db gain ) in some situations but A: I'm kind of radical about in this regard B: I have misgivings about the notion of assiging video cameras an EI or "ASA" rating.

I don't know what you mean by "standard lens"

Many lenses, especially zooms will exhibit focus breathing. (Digiprimes won't !)

-Sam

Thank you for the reply!

We did the shoot this weekend in and around a camping trailer. Two long days with loads of work to do. I must admit that I am quiote new to the assistant camera job, so I was nervous. Everything went fine and the DP seemed satisfied.

We ended up using Canon HJ21 zoom.

The only problem I had (a very serious problem though) was setting the back focus. The DP wanted to change it a few times because of very close shots.

Do you know an easy and effective way to make sure the back focus is correct?

/Thomas

This is a PAL-camera i guess since I'm from Sweden.

Do you think I can find a star-chart on the internet?

Is it good to run it at "save-mode" I like it since I know that the second it start it'll start recording.

• Premium Member
I know BandPro has a field device they can send with DigiPrimes, I don't know if it works w/ other optics or not, haven't seen it.

Our back focus alignment device is called the Sharpmax, and with a Universal Ring Kit it will work with any lens. It is a bit pricey to own for someone just starting out as an AC, so if you can't buy one rent one and if you can't rent one then you should have a Seimens star chart with you in your kit.