Cannes Film Festival

WOW, do you believe all the big names all competing against each other at Cannes this year.

Wong Kar Wai, Kim Ki-duk, James Gray, David Fincher, Gus Van Sant, Bela Tarr, Emir Kusturica, Catherine Breillat, Alexander Sokurov, The Cohen Brothers, Quentin Tarrantino and more people I've never heard of. Who do you think will win ? I haven't seen a lot of these movies, yet.

Edited by Angeliki Makraki

• Premium Member

Good to see that there are some intereting art directors like Bela Tarr ad Andrei Zviaguintsev in the official competition. And James Gray finally has made a new film after 'The Yards'. I'm curious what Van Sant will be showing. What Tarantino and Fincher are doing in the selection on the other hand, I have no idea...

Most of these films are world-premieres, at most they have been released in their own country, hence why you (or anyone else) hasn't seen any of them yet.

Good to see that there are some intereting art directors like Bela Tarr ad Andrei Zviaguintsev in the official competition. And James Gray finally has made a new film after 'The Yards'. I'm curious what Van Sant will be showing. What Tarantino and Fincher are doing in the selection on the other hand, I have no idea...

Most of these films are world-premieres, at most they have been released in their own country, hence why you (or anyone else) hasn't seen any of them yet.

I too was wondering where the Hollywood films fit in, but,

surprisingly enough in 1983, Costa-Gavras won, for Missing, even though Z was a livelier film !

• Premium Member

It's good to see that Bela Tarr's 'The Man from London' finally got finished. They started shooting in 2005, but after the producer committed suicide they stoppped again and had plenty of legal problems due to rights and so on.

What is a sop ?

sop (sp)

tr.v. sopped, sop·ping, sops

1. To dip, soak, or drench in a liquid; saturate.

2. To take up by absorption: sop up water with a paper towel.

n.

1. A piece of food soaked or dipped in a liquid.

a. Something yielded to placate or soothe.

b. A bribe.

sop (sp)

tr.v. sopped, sop·ping, sops

1. To dip, soak, or drench in a liquid; saturate.

2. To take up by absorption: sop up water with a paper towel.

n.

1. A piece of food soaked or dipped in a liquid.

a. Something yielded to placate or soothe.

b. A bribe.

my dictionary says :

sop |säp| noun 1 a thing given or done as a concession of no great value to appease someone whose main concerns or demands are not being met : my agent telephones as a sop but never finds me work. 2 a piece of bread dipped in gravy, soup, or sauce. verb ( sopped , sopping ) [ trans. ] ( sop something up) soak up liquid using an absorbent substance : he used some bread to sop up the sauce. ? wet thoroughly; soak. ORIGIN Old English soppian [dip (bread) in liquid,] sopp (noun), probably from the base of Old English s?pan [sup.] Sense 1 (mid 17th cent.) alludes to the sop used by Aeneas on his visit to Hades to appease Cerberus.

That's why I didn't get it !