Blu-Ray to replace digital tapes

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

Soon, (2005/2006) a new disc format called "Blu-Ray" is coming out onto the market. Both a single layer and a double layer version will be available. They will probably hold about 25Gigabytes (And that?s just the single layer...) Sony are looking to publish the new PS3 games on these discs.

But, it would make sense to stick these in Digital video cameras. You could then burn a descent length of uncompressed video onto a disc and not worry about chewing up the tape or having to run the tape through a VTR just to get it on to pc.

Do you think it will take off?

I thought originally they were going to replace tapes with DVD's, which they did in the Sony Handycam range, but, DVD discs can?t hold enough information to start getting into serious video. I mean 1 hour of uncompressed MiniDV and your talking 20 gig...

Only downside to the new format is that the discs will cost a bomb and so will the readers/writers.

• Premium Member

Hi,

The generic name they're using for the short-wavelength disc technology is blu-ray - they even had someone painted blue at NAB. Personally I'm much more interested in it as a computer storage format, since reasonably low-cost discs of that capacity make it far easier to archive complete edits with large handles.

Phil

I have doubts about using even standard DVD-R media for long-time storage of data or film. Density of stored data is so great with new formats like Blue Ray that smallest damages or problems in manufacture can be fatal - I would rather trust a tape-based system. My oldest DAT-Tapes still run fine with low error rates after 14 years, so one knows what to expect of magnetic tape when it is stored decently.

But for acquisition and short time storage, it may be a good solution.

Speaking of this new blu-ray technology... Wasn't there supposed to be some new, amazing storage medium that used semitransparent discs, and the drives had laser on one side, and the "receiver" on the opposite? I remember reading that this was going to be the biggest thing since the CD-ROM. I think it is now defunct.

Who is to say the same doesn't happen with blu-ray technology?