P+S lenses - the choice for low budget red heads?

Keith Mottram

• Premium Member

It appears they are Zeiss ZF lenses with a bigger housing and a focus gear. Direct from Zeiss the ZFs start at ~$680USD so for triple the price I'd be hoping P+S have done more than what appears to be just a very simple mechanical modification. P+S are listing the T-stop the same as Zeiss are the F-stop so I think they've made a mistake there.

• 1 month later...
we will use our 2 reds with our "classic" zeiss 1.2 primeset, our 1994' cooke primes and our 5 angenieux zooms, FWIW.

i hope they all pass the 4k CA challenge.

we´ll see.

I heard Red is coming with a 50-150mm T/2.8, PL mount I guess. Any idea about price and delivery?

P+S digi lenses

At $2200 dollars a piece these good be a good low budget option and are faster 85mm and 50mm than red's offerings...

Yeah I thought that was the price at NAB also but now they raised the price...

The 25mm, 35mm & 50mm are now $2,700 each and the 85mm is $3,100... the reasoning is that that price at NAB was probably Euro's...

Yeah right... :(

It appears they are Zeiss ZF lenses with a bigger housing and a focus gear. Direct from Zeiss the ZFs start at ~$680USD so for triple the price I'd be hoping P+S have done more than what appears to be just a very simple mechanical modification. P+S are listing the T-stop the same as Zeiss are the F-stop so I think they've made a mistake there.

I don't blame P+S charging 3 times the price of the Zeiss optics as long as they did a good job. A friend who works a Panavision thinks Red is modifying Sigma EX zooms like Panavision did with Minolta, they are at $600 retail price. If it's true Red makes a significant margin on these lenses.

• Premium Member
I don't blame P+S charging 3 times the price of the Zeiss optics as long as they did a good job. A friend who works a Panavision thinks Red is modifying Sigma EX zooms like Panavision did with Minolta, they are at $600 retail price. If it's true Red makes a significant margin on these lenses.

Hi,

There is a huge amount of work to turn a still zoom lens into a cine lens, $4995 is very cheap for the conversion alone asuming it's well done.

People have paid far more than that for prime lens conversions in the past.

Stephen

• Premium Member

For a full lens conversion, yes the dollars may be reasonable, but if all they've done is put the lens in a bigger barrel with more convenient markings and a focus gear, I don't think the tripling in price is reasonable. It's still Nikon mount isn't it? Still focusses the wrong way? I haven't laid hands on the P+S lenses, but they look like the same lens in a shell, rather than a converted lens. There is too little detail on the P+S site to tell exactly what they've done.

For a full lens conversion, yes the dollars may be reasonable, but if all they've done is put the lens in a bigger barrel with more convenient markings and a focus gear, I don't think the tripling in price is reasonable. It's still Nikon mount isn't it? Still focusses the wrong way? I haven't laid hands on the P+S lenses, but they look like the same lens in a shell, rather than a converted lens. There is too little detail on the P+S site to tell exactly what they've done.

Here's the best way to tell...

http://www.zeiss.com/photo

Then click on the picture of the ZF lens... or here's a better link... with prices...

https://photo-shop.zeiss.com/epages/cz.d/?O...es/Objektive/ZF

Now the P & S primes...

http://www.zgc.com/zgc.nsf/c7a682995edb4e7...71?OpenDocument

To me its not so much that the prime set costs $11.7k... its the fact that I do not like someone giving me information... saying it costs $8.8k and then when they're ready to sell them... oops now there $2.9k higher... I could see a $500 jump... maybe a grand... but not $3k... then also tell me "well the $2.2k was in Euros"... like I always ask for the Euro price because I have plenty of them sitting around in my US bank account... lol...

Can't think of their name... somethinig like Visual Pursuit... in the midwest... Chicago I think... but they had a set for sale (total of 5 lens not 4) for sale... now if I can just find the link or remember the correct name...

Edited by Gary McClurg

Thanks Chuck...

Found something interesting... going through my NAB stuff found a post card sized price list from ZGC... they list two Cooke 35mm to Super 16 Zoom lens conversions from P & S...

RU953 - 18-100mm, T3 to 9.5-53mm, T1.6 new for $14k...

RU1052 - 20-100mm, T3 to 10.6-180mm, T1.65 new for $14k...

Just wondering if they could just do the conversion to a lower t stop...

Thanks Chuck...

Found something interesting... going through my NAB stuff found a post card sized price list from ZGC... they list two Cooke 35mm to Super 16 Zoom lens conversions from P & S...

Hi Gary,

Yeah they been doing that for a while. If I understand it right it's a replacement of the rear optical group (sometimes referd to as the collimating group) which allows for a larger effective aperture. I don't believe it's possible to increase the stop of the standard rear end. But I've been known to be wrong! lol

Chuck

http://www.zgc.com/zgc.nsf/c7a682995edb4e7...69?OpenDocument

Edited by chuck colburn

• Premium Member
Thanks Chuck...

Hi Gary,

Cooke converts the lenses themselves, not P+S!

It's not possible to get the faster stop & have a lens that covers 35mm format. Think of adding a teleconverter to a lens the focal length gets longer & the stop gets smaller. (The Cooke conversion is NOT a negative converter, but as Chuck says it's the collimating group that gets changed.

Stephen

Yeah... figured I'd be out of luck on the conversation...

And the set of Zeiss f1.4 primes that Visual Products had sold... I think the asking price was $14.5k... a few grand over the P & S... but all faster stops... plus I think the set was 24mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm and 100mm... where the P & S do not have the 35mm... so really if you break it down about the same price...

Wrong camera forum here... but was looking for a nice good set of primes to maybe go with an HPX 500 and Pro 35...

There is a company called RPLens that does Nikon conversations... about $375 a lens if you send them the lens... he has a set of Nikon retooled for the Mini 35 for about $3,400 to $3,500.... all around f2... then a set of Canon's I believe all around f1.4's except for the 50mm which if I remember right f2...

Wondering if the ZF lens are the ones that P & S converted or had done for their new primes that we've been talking about...

Edited by Gary McClurg

• Premium Member
And the set of Zeiss f1.4 primes that Visual Products had sold... I think the asking price was $14.5k... a few grand over the P & S... but all faster stops... plus I think the set was 24mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm and 100mm... where the P & S do not have the 35mm... so really if you break it down about the same price...

Wondering if the ZF lens are the ones that P & S converted or had done for their new primes that we've been talking about...

Hi Gary,

The MK 1 Superspeeds are about 30 years old & not loved because of their 3 iris blade bokah. Thats why there are only $14.5 (2 years ago about half that would have bought you a good set)

P+S is rehousing the ZF Lenses.

Until Red lenses have been tested & proove themselves, motion picture lenses will remain high, but could fall like a brick if Red lenses turn out to be as good as the companies marketing.

Stephen

Thanks Stephen...

Chuck didn't see your edit a post "post" till now... on the right bottom side of the post box there should be edit or modify... there is a way to go back and re-edit post later... but you have to be a gold member or can't think what you call it... the other way you can only edit once or twice... or I think if someone posts after you... you can't fix it...

Edited by Gary McClurg