DV Cam

Guy Meachin

my understanding is that the only difference between a DVCAM tape and a miniDV tape (other than appearence) is that DVCAM tape comes from the middle of the spool during manufacturing. This is the sweet spot of the reel and is supposed to be better tape. mini DVCAM tapes should work fine in your XL1.

Correct me if I'm wrong,

Jason

• Premium Member

Hi,

Yeah, it's fine, I run mini-DVCAM in my Sony GV-D900 deck all the time. Some people have warned about mixing brands of tape, but I have no choice but to do this a lot, and it doesn't seem to cause a problem. However, the GV-D900 is a particularly compliant piece of kit and will replay true DVCAM recordings, so your mileage may, etc.

The only thing that is likely to give trouble is if you try to record DV on a tape that's previously had DVCAM on it, and vice versa. Certain parts of either format are instrumentation recordings, that is a continuous full-deflection magnetisation of the tape surface as opposed to the usual track which is frequency modulated. Instrumentation recordings are extremely difficult to erase, and it's unlikely that the flying erase head on your camera will get it all. These ghost recordings can cause problems later. The only time I've had this cause a problem was on a very cheap, very nasty JVC dual VHS/DV deck, which was flaky and awful in every possible way anyway, but it's worth looking out for.

Phil

Hi Phil

Funny you should mention the JVC Dual Deck. I've used a freinds over the summer and it would play the Mini DV Cam tape without severe problems with the playback, hence why I thought it might not work on the XL1s.

Also, where do you buy your Mini DV Cam tapes from? How much each?

B)

I've had problems with the JVC MiniDV/S-VHS deck with DVCAM.

The newer model claims to be able to play back DVCAM formatted tapes. Unfortunatly, in my experience you get loads of drop outs on playing back DVCAM tapes on the JVC deck. Initally I thought I had a bad batch of tapes, but they played fine on the camera.

• Premium Member

Hi,

This is about the billionth complaint I've heard about those decks; they're absolute lemons.

I buy all my consumables from Stanley Productions on Wardour Street in London (they're not the absolute cheapest, but I pass often.) The charge £2.15, which is about US$4, plus our extortionate local sales tax. You'll almost certainly do at least 30% better in the US.

Phil