Best Cam For My Type Of Video's

Hi everyone.

This is my second post here. Actually its the first one that everyone gets to read because my first one was removed for violating some obscenity laws. I have been filming "wrestling" video's for about 5 years but know very little about the actual cameras. I will be buying my first camera and the one I am looking at is called a Sony HVR-V1U 1080p. With my limited knowledge my research led me to that camera. Has anyone got any experience with that camera? Is there a better type of camera for this type of films? My budget is $5k US. Basically I am the "wrestler" and I am "fighting" as well as filming the action. So this type of "wrestling" video is called "gonzo wrestling". Also can be thought of as your in the action or at least filming up close with other wrestlers. It's also not scripted so we just let things flow. I apologize for "dumbing down" or making my post sound like it was written for small children to read but my original post was removed and I was asked to use alternate words for certain things.

Thanks for reading

Edited by Jason Goldberg Bergstein

• Premium Member

I think the Z1U would be a very poor choice for that type of action. It uses a very heavy compression scheme that tends to fall apart when there is a lot of movement in the frame, which is exactly what will be happening in your work. I would choose something more along the lines of a DVX or an HVX so you can start with a less compressed capture medium.

How much beating around will the camera take?

I think the Z1U would be a very poor choice for that type of action. It uses a very heavy compression scheme that tends to fall apart when there is a lot of movement in the frame, which is exactly what will be happening in your work. I would choose something more along the lines of a DVX or an HVX so you can start with a less compressed capture medium.

How much beating around will the camera take?

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the tip Ill start looking up what you suggested. I'm glad I asked about it in here though because I was getting close to buying it.

The camera remains mainly stable and wont get hit with anything. It can't actually sit on a tripod though and needs to remain involved in the action. To give the feeling that the viewer is in some way in the room. I'm not talking about virtual reality but just a 3rd party in the room. Do you know what I mean?

David you have me confused with someone else. Do you have any input on my topic question?

Well i think the sony-hvr-v1 camera . its does 24p thats what Dan Goldberg told me in the other forums it gives near 35mm look. someone said here its not good for wresting video but i think it will do .

http://news.sel.sony.com/images/large/b2b/...er-angle_lg.jpg

http://images.camcorderinfo.com/images/upl...ithmattebox.jpg

Well i think the sony-hvr-v1 camera . its does 24p thats what Dan Goldberg told me in the other forums it gives near 35mm look. someone said here its not good for wresting video but i think it will do .

http://news.sel.sony.com/images/large/b2b/...er-angle_lg.jpg

http://images.camcorderinfo.com/images/upl...ithmattebox.jpg

So you think it would be good for my type of video. What do think of the HVX? Is the compression not to heavy on the Sony you suggest? I don't want my image falling apart. Especially since the video quality is important in HD.

So you think it would be good for my type of video. What do think of the HVX? Is the compression not to heavy on the Sony you suggest? I don't want my image falling apart. Especially since the video quality is important in HD.

Hey david I am leaning towards "Panasonic AG-HVX200" Whats your take?

• Premium Member
Panosonic is my choice. i am narrowing down between the dvx or the hvx depending on money issues. the colors on the Panasonics are so vivid.

Personally, I am unimpressed with the HVX. It tends to fall apart in low light situations in a way that the DVX doesn't. Also, you have to ask whether or not you need all of the HD capabilities of an HVX. If you do not, then I would go with the DVX, which being an older camera has been put through more paces than the recently introduced HVX. You also have have to make sure the post workflow you are considering supports the camera you purchase.