HD,film n normal tape

budakfah

• Premium Member

HD (high definition) is video, just a higher-resolution video than standard video; film is film. Video can be recorded in a couple of ways but the most common way is to videotape.

There are a couple of HD tape formats in use: HDCAM, DVCPROHD, HD-D5, HDCAM-SR, D6 VooDoo. Some are used more in post-production than in camera recordings.

Video cameras have traditionally captured moving images in "interlaced-scan". i.e. in video fields, with two fields making up one frame of video. Usually the cameras capture 60 fields per second (60i / NTSC) or 50 fields per second (50i / PAL).

Some newer cameras can capture in "progressive scan", i.e. an entire video frame at a time. This creates a look closer to film, which also captures an entire frame at a time. Especially if you use the same frame rates and shutter speed as the film camera does (traditionally 24 frames per second.)

Surely you know what film is.

Most movies are shot is in the 35mm format using color negative, which has more resolution than current HD formats, plus can handle a wider exposure range and hold more color information. But HD technology has been improving to narrow the gap in quality.

• Premium Member

"Telecine", as the word suggests, means a device to transfer film ("cine") to video ("tele"). Since something shot in HD is video already, there is no need for a telecine.

There are, however, telecines that transfer film to HD video.

And there are "film recorders" that transfer digital images, including HD video, to film.

Your questions are hard to read and hard to understand, so you may not get the answers you want.

Visit:

http://www.yahoo.com and type in "High Defintion Video". Im sure you will find more than you need on the HD medium.

also, look around in the HD section of this forum! IT does answer a lot of questions, such as What HD Resolution is, Film V. HD, dynamic range, ect...

Just look around. thats what the internet is for. :rolleyes:

to "budakfah": I don't mean anything by this question... But are you from the United States?

• Premium Member

Dear budakfah,

Best way to learn about HD is to study the format probably on-line as

has been suggested. Appeal of HD format is its "CLARITY" and at times

depending how you view it, it may look like a photograph! The standard

of the industry is NTSC and compared to it, HD has image 250% wider,

2 times the luminance both vertically and horizontally. It has more of a

cinematic look(aspect ratio) 16X9 as opposed to 4X3(NTSC). How does

HD translate into quality of what your eye sees:

1. Your story will look bigger

2. You feel more of a presence

3. Your senses should be more sensitive

4. Actors faces should show more emotion,so story plays better(portrays

emotion better as to look actor takes on).

Check out ASC Store for books on subject at- www.theasc.com.

American Cinematograher Magazine and Videography magazine are good

sources also. Sony Corporation today announced a new HD camcorder for

consumer use(pro-consumer,whatever that is, a camera is a camera,is a

a camera as in carboard box with a pin hole). I read that it should be avail-

in USA come November. Good luck with your endeavors in HD!

How can you misspell the word "what" (wut) in your first post, then say this:

such as the resolution n many more.. can HD go direct to telecine like film?

You can spell "resolution" correctly?

If you are so uniformed, how do you know what a telecine is?

Your poor attempt to sound like a thick-accented foreigner is so transparent. Please don't waist the valuable time of these great (and patient) guys.

Sincerely,

i'm from malaysian and in here

I'm sorry dude, but your active stats page (User's Local Time) says you are in the Pacific Time Zone... my guess would be southern California. How do you explain that? It's just common courtesy to put your real full name and at least some information so people know you're here for legitimate reasons.

Jason

<I'm sorry dude, but your active stats page (User's Local Time) says you are in the Pacific Time Zone... my guess would be southern California. How do you explain that? It's just common courtesy to put your real full name and at least some information so people know you're here for legitimate reasons.>

to jason.. seriusly im from Selangor, Malaysia...please tell me where i want to change my (User's Local Time) so u know where i m...n i'm in here to learn and what for i want to lie to you... thanks again

• Premium Member

Hi,

I think this is pretty much cleared up to everyone's satisfaction. Just to make it super, ultra clear - using the kind of contractions that "budakfah" used in his first posts on the board is not uncommon on the internet, but among professional people in an environment like this board it can appear juvenile. I'm sure that wasn't the intention and I'm sure everyone understands this now.

There are places on the internet where that kind of writing would be a perfectly normal use of English, and I wouldn't trust myself not to make the same mistake in Malaysia.

Phil