DIY credits and titles?

adam schutzman

hey all...

another beginner's question here...

are there any good DIY ways to create simple titles and credits without post production work (ie in camera)? im working with reversal B&W tri-x film (with a little reversal color film) and a krasnogorsk-3...any methods/ideas would be appreciated. thank you in advance!!

~adam

hey all...

are there any good DIY ways to create simple titles and credits without post production work (ie in camera)? im working with reversal B&W tri-x film (with a little reversal color film) and a krasnogorsk-3...any methods/ideas would be appreciated. thank you in advance!!

~adam

What we used to do back in the day was shoot thur glass or some other transparency, shoot title cards or some other artwork, real low tech, now that I think about it, I should try some for a different look.

Scott

• Premium Member

You could cut your titles out of black paper and then put each card on a light table and shoot that to get something really simple.

You could also figure out something themed similar to that of your film. I'm thinking of something like the scrapbook titles in Amelie.

You could use transparencies used for overhead projectors. Just whip up something in Photoshop or word and take the file to an office supply place to make the transparencies, but you may have to double up because I don't know if the black parts will be dense enough on their own.

Or how about this: you could shoot a LCD computer/TV monitor? Knock something out in premiere or Final cut or photoshop, and bam! (At least I think this would work; there aren't issues w/ shooting an LCD monitor right?)

• Premium Member
(At least I think this would work; there aren't issues w/ shooting an LCD monitor right?)

Nope, LCDs are safe at all usual speeds. Something probably happens at very high speeds, but I'm just guessing about that.

hey all...

~adam

i had nice results by filming a background scenery 1 or 2 stops underexposed, rewind the film, than film the titles (white letters in a black background).