Is this DP reel worthy?

Hi all! I shot this video last week with my HV20 outputting a LIVE (no HDV) video feed to my Mac Pro 50 feet away, which captured at 4:2:2 1920x1080 60i with the Photo JPEG codec using my Decklink HD Extreme card. Yes, I built a high quality component cable with BNC termination to do this.

So I very nearly captured uncompressed component!

The Mac Pro had a 3x 250GB hard disk RAID, but still couldn?t get up to 30FPS at 8bit uncompressed (it maxed at 27FPS) ? I needed just one more drive! I?ll do a 4x 250GB RAID within the next month, so I?ll keep everyone up to date when that happens.

I captured to full 1080P JPEG, so let me say again, no HDV in this workflow.

Here?s a mini music video I made out of the footage I shot (pull down hasn?t happened ? this is 24P footage in a 60i timeline).

http://hv20.teack.net/movies/hornby_island_1080P_422.mp4.txt

(remove the ?.txt? once downloaded to play)

Any artifacts you see are from the codecs (I colour corrected and played with the footage), not the camera itself. The raw footage was very clean. JPEG cannot handle colour correction, so as far as I?m concerned, it?s 8bit uncompressed or Cineform (when it comes out) for post work.

Let me know what you think! Could this be cut into a DP reel? Or is it too stock? Also, what do you think of the HV20 and my work flow?

• Premium Member

Being honest, I wasn't a fan of those quick cuts between flowers that flickered back and forth for a few seconds, it didn't do anything for me. As for a reel, I'm no expert but I'd look for some way to push the footage beyond being average shots of flowers. You have a very nice camera which makes nice looking images, but the flower footage started to wear on me after a time because there wasn't too much variety. The CU of rain/dewdrops was interesting I just wish one of them had fallen.

By the way I liked your opening shot, beautiful sky/environment.

Good Luck!

• Premium Member
Being honest, I wasn't a fan of those quick cuts between flowers that flickered back and forth for a few seconds, it didn't do anything for me. As for a reel, I'm no expert but I'd look for some way to push the footage beyond being average shots of flowers. You have a very nice camera which makes nice looking images, but the flower footage started to wear on me after a time because there wasn't too much variety. The CU of rain/dewdrops was interesting I just wish one of them had fallen.

By the way I liked your opening shot, beautiful sky/environment.

Good Luck!

Dave pretty much called it. It's a nice capture medium but the shots don't do anything for me. There's really nothing special about all of the shots save the first, which I like a lot. The shot at 1:06 is just plain annoying in it's composition with the extremely out of focus grass on the left of frame. It just looks like a green haze. The stuff near the end looks like your lens may have been flared and losing contrast. The last shot has no black even though it's clear it should. There's a very strange contrast shift when you go from the close-up bird on the stump to the slightly further out bird on the stump. I don't know why the image changes so much when it seems that it's meant to be the same place. I think the medium is worthy, not the shots. You need to work a lot on how you light and compose shots. Camera movement is also a biggie that people look at from a DP and you have zero. Not even a pan or a tilt that I can remember.

Haha. I should have been more clear - this was a workflow test, and I shot whatever was in the garden 50' of the computer. This forum group looked the most appropriate so I posted here - didn't really care for feedback on the footage itself. Just for "fun"

I've shot a short film, so if you'd like to see what I've done Chris, go to:

http://filmmaker.teack.net/

Hi i am curious to how you went through the process (how captured etc), have you used a set up similar to what is shown on this article. http://www.dv.com/features/features_item.p...cleId=196602702 seems like an excellent way to get the full use of your camera. so any info would be great

many thanks :rolleyes:

carl spring

Hi i am curious to how you went through the process (how captured etc), have you used a set up similar to what is shown on this article. http://www.dv.com/features/features_item.p...cleId=196602702 seems like an excellent way to get the full use of your camera. so any info would be great

many thanks :rolleyes:

carl spring

Carl, to make it brief,

Apple Mac Pro

2GB ram

3 x250GB hard drives in RAID

X1900XT video card (don't think this was important tho)

Blackmagic Design Decklink HD Extreme card (to do uncompressed video - beautiful card!)

50' Component Video Cable (I made it.. far more expensive in the end than I thought - if you do it, test an HDMI cable and buy it and a Blackmagic Intensity Pro instead of the Decklink HD)

Canon HV20 Camera (incredible camera)

Stock Blackmagic Software

Captured using Photo JPEG (that's all 3 hard drives could handle - i've added a 4th now, so, i'll try FULLY uncompressed soon..)

:D

cool, have been thinking of a similar set up

have a sony HC1

am going to be getting in a few months

Mac Pro 2.66(or what ever it maybe once leopard has arrived)

quad core

5GB ram

1x250GB hard drive

2x750GB hard drive (assuming i can raid these two, cuz its not much of a raid but am going to use god hard drives)

256 video card

Blackmagic Design intensity Pro

i will need a component extention as the HC1 from what i know doesnt have hdmi out(from what i know??) and the component that came with it is pretty small, so have been wary about what to get(any advice would be great) how did you create yours?

i think this set up should allow me to do uncompresses HD what do you think? any suggestions for changes of set up let me know, any would be helpful, i have given my self a budget of 2500pounds which i know i can get all things above(have done some searching around), already have the camera so not included in my budget. cheers for your help robert, opened my eyes to using my camera in a new exciting way

regards :ph34r:

carl spring

yup, that'll allow you to do near-uncompressed alright! my cable had to be rebuilt since that shoot, and the footage looks a tad softer now for whatever reason, but you get the laitude of the uncompressed, and, bypass the HDV engine in sony's will make it a hell of a lot nicer! (I've used the Sony Z1U and FX1 a LOT - not happy with their internal HDV compression engines - you'll get a lot more out of your camera!)

If you truly want uncompressed, you'll need a 4 Hard drive raid - 3 couldn't do it for me, 4 could though (im up to 4x250 GB drives now). I use an IDE hard drive in my spare drive bay as my startup/user/application drive.

That's the way to do it!

cool, have been thinking of a similar set up

have a sony HC1

am going to be getting in a few months

Mac Pro 2.66(or what ever it maybe once leopard has arrived)

quad core

5GB ram

1x250GB hard drive

2x750GB hard drive (assuming i can raid these two, cuz its not much of a raid but am going to use god hard drives)

256 video card

Blackmagic Design intensity Pro

i will need a component extention as the HC1 from what i know doesnt have hdmi out(from what i know??) and the component that came with it is pretty small, so have been wary about what to get(any advice would be great) how did you create yours?

i think this set up should allow me to do uncompresses HD what do you think? any suggestions for changes of set up let me know, any would be helpful, i have given my self a budget of 2500pounds which i know i can get all things above(have done some searching around), already have the camera so not included in my budget. cheers for your help robert, opened my eyes to using my camera in a new exciting way

regards :ph34r:

carl spring