Rain Wear

David Erlichman

Okay, I didn't really know where to post this and I'm generally drawn here (mods - please move to appropriate forum if needed).

I'm wondering what people use for rain wear. It's time to retire my Viking WetSkin suit (10+ years) and am looking for suggestions for a replacement. I personally don't mind "non-breathablity" as I feel that breathable materials like Gortex have a give, or a saturation point where after a certain about of use (ie: minutes under the rain towers) they actually start to take on water like a sponge rather than repel it. I'm also looking for an all season suit something to take on "April showers", sun showers and the wet snow of Jan.

As a side line, I wear either an oilskin baseball cap, or more often an aussie cowboy hat that's been wax treated. On my feet I've been loving my Neos Overshoes for the last year.

Anyone?

• Premium Member

I got a cheap yellow rubber suit from the Army Navy Surplus store.

Basically, I look like the Gorton's Fisherman.

Hey, it's re-useable and I don't care if it gets full of mud.

Buy some cheap rubber boots with a good tread on the sole too.

• Premium Member
I'll defer to my Vancouver brothers and sisters as we get less overall rainfall here in Toronto

Tell me.... I did 8 days there and have only ever been wetter in Scotland.

Nice City though

I have a rain jacket and pants bought from one of those outdoor stores (Europe Bound). Brand name I bought was Marmot, which is kinda like Gor-tex. Expensive at $200 for both pant and coat but cheaper than Gor-tex.

I sometimes bring a baseball hat too because if it's rain it could still get in my eyes which sucks.

We get a lot of rain here in Portland, and for the jacket I tend to use a gore-tex shell. They are spendy, but the breathability make a lot of difference. They aren't totally breathable, and you will work up a sweat eventually, but it's much better than a rubber jacket in my opinion. For pants, I either do a pair of military issue gore-tex pants, or a set of rubber bibs. I like the bibs because you don't get plumbers butt when bending over. Also, depending on the situation, I might wear a set of rubber boots instead of my regular working shoes. For a good quality rubber suit, check these guys out- http://www.grundens.com/

I can imagine Canada being very much like Norway climate wise, so I guess my working environment isn't too far from yours. I usually go with something that will get me through a day that can change from a nice and sunny to absolute freezing, pooring down with rain and down right misserable.

Usually something that isn't too heavy and that can breath so you don't have to constantly take stuff off if you get too hot and put it back on once you get cold again. Usually a shirt, some thermal wear and a rain coat over that does the job.

Have a look at Helly Hansen

Their stuff is made for our conditions and it's good quality stuff. A bit hefty on the price side at times, but I'm sure it's cheaper in Canada than here. At least that's what I've discovered when looking at their stuff overseas.

• Premium Member
Don't forget the third hole for the rig arm... oh yeah, and the Gortex goes on the rig, right? (or do you prefer cling / saran wrap?)

Yep, I've got saran wrap in my kit all the time. But honestly, it rains so infrequently in Los Angeles that I don't worry too much about rain gear. The only time I worry about rain is when I'm shooting out of town.

• Premium Member

Climate makes a huge difference. I grew up and started my career in Florida. Any rainwear in a summer thunderstorm there gets you more wet and steamy under the jacket than outside it. Lightweight and breathable in those conditions is the only way to go.

Here in California the weather is much more varaible and you learn to dress in layers. To that end, I've got a decent, breathable lightweight rainjacket and pants that compress down to nothing for storage. If I expect it to be cold, I put the warmer layers underneath. Comfortable waterproof boots make life much more pleasant.

I hate the limited visibilty you have with hoods, so I've also got an oiled canvas hat like this one.

I hate the limited visibilty you have with hoods, so I've also got an oiled canvas hat like this one.

I have also the same thing but having been experiencing a "wardrobe malfunction" with it. Water will pool on the top and eventually soak through. I've been waxing and rewaxing the hat with wax that I bought from the guy who sold me the hat, but ever since it got left by the heater in the truck, it's never been the same... Love the hat otherwise and use it for the sun as well

David

• Premium Member
I have also the same thing but having been experiencing a "wardrobe malfunction" with it. Water will pool on the top and eventually soak through. I've been waxing and rewaxing the hat with wax that I bought from the guy who sold me the hat, but ever since it got left by the heater in the truck, it's never been the same... Love the hat otherwise and use it for the sun as well

David

I know what you mean. Mine doesn't get much use and has gotten flattened in storage. It's not looking so good now...

I bought a Marmot PreCip jacket on sale at REI a few months back for around 65 bucks. It's waterproof/breathable, and weighs next to nothing. Works really well. The downside is that it's not extremely tough, and wearing short sleeves underneath gives you a clammy feeling because of the waterproof coating. Other than that, I highly recommend it as a backup/emergency jacket. I'm not sure I would like to spend all day in it though. Good advice on the rain hats too.