Does push processing only raise contrast in 5218?

In a discussion of push processing with a German DoP friend of mine, he mentioned that some German cinemtographers had done extensive tests pushing 5218, and found that it did not lead to a brighter image, only a more contrasty one, (a darker black) resulting in a perception of added brightness, but no real benefit. Any one ever hear of such a study, or take part in it?

B

• Premium Member

Push-processing increases the density of the negative, so if you exposed normally and then push-processed, you'd get more density than normal as a result. But usually push-processing is combined with underexposure to end up with normal density. So the image, if underexposed by one stop, and then pushed one stop, wouldn't end up "brighter", it should end up normal in brightness, more or less.

But the result would also be increased contrast and more graininess, plus some color shifting and perhaps color in the blacks.

Pushing doesn't increase sensitivity -- it can only take what was captured by the emulsion and increase its density after processing.

They both handle a one-stop push well -- I've done it to both stocks on different features. However, I haven't done a side-by-side test.

David, What happens if I overexpose the stock by 1 stop and pull 1 stop in processing? Does it mean it decreases the density and lessen contrast? Thanks

• Premium Member
David, What happens if I overexpose the stock by 1 stop and pull 1 stop in processing? Does it mean it decreases the density and lessen contrast? Thanks

The net density is normal because you would normally have gotten extra density from the overexposing, but you pulled the processing by the same amount to compensate and thus ended up back to normal density. Pull processing reduces density.

However, you'd end up with less grain, less contrast, softer blacks and colors.

The net density is normal because you would normally have gotten extra density from the overexposing, but you pulled the processing by the same amount to compensate and thus ended up back to normal density. Pull processing reduces density.

However, you'd end up with less grain, less contrast, softer blacks and colors.

thanks David

Regards