Spooling down 400ft Rolls for 100ft camera

Does anyone know how to go about taking one 400ft roll and making it into four 100ft rolls? I mean obviously you have to have some daylight spools but as far as shipping them to a lab or something, i'm not sure about that. I don't have spare cans or anything. Any ideas? Can you get spare 100ft cans or boxes? Is this even possible?

• Site Sponsor
Does anyone know how to go about taking one 400ft roll and making it into four 100ft rolls? I mean obviously you have to have some daylight spools but as far as shipping them to a lab or something, i'm not sure about that. I don't have spare cans or anything. Any ideas? Can you get spare 100ft cans or boxes? Is this even possible?

you will need a set of rewinds and a dark room for them, you then spool the 400' onto a second core (using a tight wind setup for this would be essential for Super16) so that the film is on that core tail out. You then get 4 100' daylight spools and you wind the film onto them one at a time. You do not want to try to fill the 100' spool and even if you manage to be consistent the last 100' spool will be more like 70-80' because when daylight spools are loaded at the factory they actually load 112' per spool and that's why buying 4 100' spools is more than a single 400'. Ask your lab for 100' spools and boxes they should have plenty i know we have hundreds and hundreds of them.

-rob-

you will need a set of rewinds and a dark room for them, you then spool the 400' onto a second core (using a tight wind setup for this would be essential for Super16) so that the film is on that core tail out. You then get 4 100' daylight spools and you wind the film onto them one at a time. You do not want to try to fill the 100' spool and even if you manage to be consistent the last 100' spool will be more like 70-80' because when daylight spools are loaded at the factory they actually load 112' per spool and that's why buying 4 100' spools is more than a single 400'. Ask your lab for 100' spools and boxes they should have plenty i know we have hundreds and hundreds of them.

-rob-

Thanks alot for the info. Since i don't have a local lab maybe i could pay you for some spools and boxes?

• 2 weeks later...
You do not want to try to fill the 100' spool
If you are going to do this, and you have access to a footage counter (e.g. a synchroniser) and some junk film, then before you start pn the rawstock, do this:

Measure 100 ft of junk stock through a footage counter. Then wind that exact 100 ft onto a daylight spool. Count the number of turns of the rewinder you need to do it.

Then you can use the same number of turns when you are breaking down the 400 ft of rawstock.