FREE FOCUS on Elmo 1012

Antonio Bunt

Although I rather shoot super 16, I can't afford it and I already have an Elmo 1012 with a crystal sync generator. My main problem is that I can't really seem to get the Free Focus function on the camera and the instruction manual doesn't really cover a lot about that feature. Somebody knows about it? Thanks!

Edited by Antonio Bunt

Although I rather shoot super 16, I can't afford it and I already have an Elmo 1012 with a crystal sync generator. My main problem is that I can't really seem to get the Free Focus function on the camera and the instruction manual doesn't really cover a lot about that feature. Somebody knows about it? Thanks!

Working from memory (so I hope I get it right), if you put the focus ring to 15 feet you should be able to slide a little lever (probably marked "FF") which will lock in place. You should no longer be able to move the focus ring - it is locked at 15 feet. You may need to put the zoom ring to 15mm (or less) for this to work. Once locked, you will probably be prevented from moving the zoom ring higher than 15 - so you are restricted to 15mm or less.

This is known as "hyperfocal distance" - lens settings resulting in maximum depth of field so you are essentially "focus free" (not free focus, but that is semantics). To achieve true hyperfocal distance you want an f-stop of f8 or better (16, 22...) but I have found that if I put my lens settings at 15 and 15 I can still shoot wide open aperture and get acceptable focus at all distances.

Hope that works for you.

Rick