Cineon 10bit Files why not 16,24 or 32?

Alex Lindblom

The Cineon system was introduced around 1993, I believe. And back then 10 bit was big thing.

Correct me if I am wrong, but if understand it correct, all high end DI's use this file system, right?

If so, why not use a high color bit depth, is it simply to little improvement to be worth bothering with?

• Site Sponsor
The Cineon system was introduced around 1993, I believe. And back then 10 bit was big thing.

Correct me if I am wrong, but if understand it correct, all high end DI's use this file system, right?

If so, why not use a high color bit depth, is it simply to little improvement to be worth bothering with?

Cineon is 10bit logarithmic not linear like 10bit video, the log nature of the file allows for it to represent the same info as 16bit linear with less data. All DI systems/DI's do not necessarily use cineon DPX files, in several flavors, are popular too. There are 16bit 32bit, etc. files used and remember cineon, dpx, etc. are RGB formats and each color is represented by the bit depth i.e. 16bits each for Red, Green,Blue.

-Rob-