need infos about panavison cams

hi guys,

i've never worked with panavision cameras but i would like to get to know these cameras. they are just not popular in germany so it's a bit tricky to get info about them.

so i was wondering if there is any info available out there in the internet like a user's guide or anything like that. dont neccessarily wanna buy a book for big bucks if i dont have to..

maybe someone can tell me a few basic things about the cameras, the lenses and accessories etc..

are they easier to handle compared to arri cameras? anything in particular to be aware of?

what do you like better? arri or panavision? and why?

any kind of info would be helpful !! :-)

thanx,

m

• Premium Member

PM your e-mail address to me and I'll send you the PDF manuals I have saved. I have manuals for the Millenium (which will get you by on any panaflex model), their panavised F900, the panatape and the handheld digital controller.

They're no more difficult than arri cameras. You do have to thread them where the arricams almost do it by themselves. That's not a difficult task, though. The beautiful thing is all of panavisions accessories are the same no matter what body you have.

One other thing. Go into your controls and change your display name to your full first and last names. It's forum rules and besides, I like knowing who I'm talking to.

Edited by Chris Keth

I found a book (literaly found it laying around the tv studio I work for) that had tons of good info in it. I know you don't want to purchase a book, but really it had way more info than a manual ever would have. It also has comparisons between different models, different setups, virtually all the accessories and their use, panavision operations and practices, even write ups of the technology inside. It was really worth it compared to a user manual that just has threading diagrams, lube points, and scematics. It really goes into the use and possibilities of the cameara.

This book is on the panaflex line, so its a little outdated it seems, but I know every camera mentioned in the book is still availible to be rented.

• Premium Member
I found a book (literaly found it laying around the tv studio I work for) that had tons of good info in it. I know you don't want to purchase a book, but really it had way more info than a manual ever would have. It also has comparisons between different models, different setups, virtually all the accessories and their use, panavision operations and practices, even write ups of the technology inside. It was really worth it compared to a user manual that just has threading diagrams, lube points, and scematics. It really goes into the use and possibilities of the cameara.

This book is on the panaflex line, so its a little outdated it seems, but I know every camera mentioned in the book is still availible to be rented.

Was it this book: http://www.amazon.com/Panaflex-Users-Manua...n/dp/0240802675? I was thinking about getting it some time ago.

The panaflex line of cameras is still going strong, by the way. The Platinum and Millenium are still of the panaflex family tree.

Even so, as an assistant I prefer the arricam system. It's just so easy to work with that I personally think that panavision has some catching up to do.

Edited by Chris Keth

It was that book, but the first edition (I still have no idea why we had that book laying around...I don't think we have used film for anything past the 1970s when Umatic came out...we have tons of Umatic decks, but not one old film camera...and trust me I checked.)

First edition seems a bit out of date, but not terribly. I imagine their product line doesn't change much from year to year, or even decade to decade. I think it has the Platinum camera in it, but not the mellenium...I need to double check though. Second edition should have it all. Eitherway, any panavision camera I will be renting in the next 10 years will probably be covered by that edition. The cool thing about that book is that it was writen by a guy with 20 years matenience at panavision, so you can tell the wealth of knowledge in there.

As for the design compared to arri or aaton, from what I gathered the advantages are mostly to the producers rather than the camera crew. It seems in the event of equipment failure, your more protected no matter where in the world you are, and there is more done to prevent equipment failure. This is my opinion, mind you, based on no first hand experience with panavision, its just based on conversations I have had with people and things I have read.

PM your e-mail address to me and I'll send you the PDF manuals I have saved. I have manuals for the Millenium (which will get you by on any panaflex model), their panavised F900, the panatape and the handheld digital controller.

They're no more difficult than arri cameras. You do have to thread them where the arricams almost do it by themselves. That's not a difficult task, though. The beautiful thing is all of panavisions accessories are the same no matter what body you have.

One other thing. Go into your controls and change your display name to your full first and last names. It's forum rules and besides, I like knowing who I'm talking to.

Just my opinion, I find Panavision systems to be MORE difficult than most other camera systems. ARRI cameras are like Mercedes Benz's. You can also go to Panavision's website.