16mm Film In Canada?

Zamir Merali

Hello

I live in Ontario and am trying to gather enough 16mm film for a project I'm shooting this summer. This project is really constrained in terms of budget so I am trying to get the best deal possible. I don't want to buy from ebay because of the large risk involved. If anybody has any extra colour negative from projects they have shot could you let me know? Any ASA is good although a midrange speed would be better (200-400 ASA). Thankyou

Also it would be better if you lived in Canada. Thanks

If you are in Toronto, try Stock Options Corp. Their rate on 16mm short ends is about $0.20, which is fairly decent.

I've used them a few times and haven't had any problems -- yet. If not you can always call production companies and see if they have any short ends left but they tend to mostly have 35mm and quite often they sell them to companies like Stock Options.

When buying be sure you are buying the correct winding (if you need S16 for example).

I've had great experiences with both Stock Options (www.stockoptionscorp.com) and Certified Film (www.certifiedfilm.com). Both suppliers have short ends and recans of film, and everything they sell has been lab tested with a snip test.

If you get in touch with Slavica at Stock Options and tell her what you need for your upcoming shoot, they can even start collecting the film for you as it becomes available to them.

I do know about certified film and stock options. Infact I bought part of the film from certified already. They had 1200 feet of well stored 2 year old 7217 that i got for 10 cents per foot and some shortends. I was hoping that someone who wants to get rid of extra film would sell me a few 400 foot rolls for about 50 dollars each. This is a really low budget shoot. Thanks