Flickering Halation

Stephen Whitehead

• Premium Member
Hey I got some footage back that when there are moments of Halation, namely the halation flickers. it is a BL2. Any idea as to why only the Halation would flicker, and why this is happening?

Hi Stephen,

Is it constant flickering / down one side of the film? Can you give us some more details?

Cheers G

Hi Stephen,

Is it constant flickering / down one side of the film? Can you give us some more details?

Cheers G

No it is not down one side of the film. The only part that flickers is the actual Halo distortion. For example if you shoot s burnt out window, the halo that results around the window will flicker. I asked about this before, and I think we decided that it was a telecine problem, but upon closer inspection of the neg, it is a camera problem.

Cheers,

Steve

I asked about this before, and I think we decided that it was a telecine problem, but upon closer inspection of the neg, it is a camera problem.

Hmmm, still sounds like you're having a shutter issue...or perhaps the registration pin is only working properly half the time?

Other than that, refer to your previous thread on the problem: http://www.cinematography.com/forum2004/in...showtopic=21820

• Premium Member

Hi,

Have a look for light bouncing off the side of the mirror or some non blacked bits inside the camera. Does it happen with just one lens, then check the back of lens. The highlights are + 5 stops or more so there is a lot of light bouncing around inside the camera.

If not try Ebay, as a last resort follow Richard's advice in your other thread.

Stephen

• Premium Member
Hi,

Have a look for light bouncing off the side of the mirror or some non blacked bits inside the camera. Does it happen with just one lens, then check the back of lens. The highlights are + 5 stops or more so there is a lot of light bouncing around inside the camera.

If not try Ebay, as a last resort follow Richard's advice in your other thread.

Stephen

Yes, this is most likely the cause. All the old Arri's with butterfly shutters have a propencity for this, with 2C and the III being the worst.

On those models there are baffles over the groundglass to combat this problem. They often get removed later one in an effort to clean up the viewing, which normally

introduces the flickering at certain angles. I'm not sure the BL2 had thosed baffles across the GG, but I suspect the might have had.