Lenses

Does anyone know a web page that discusses the characteristics of different lenses. Primes Zooms, Primo's Zeiss, Cookie, anamorphic... what have you I'd like to learn the different characteristics and quality of each. Thank you

Also I was wondering if any of you DPs have some one studying under you. I've done a lot of electric grip, gaffer and a little DP my self, but I would love to work right under a DP and learn everything I can from them with out missing anything by putting up lights away from set. Its hard to get across what I'm saying cause I don't mean to say I want to learn with out putting in the work of an electrician or anything, because I love doing that. However, I would love to be side by side with a DP and figure out why he put a light here or used this diffusion vs. that one. Obviously not when he/she is busy on the set trying to configure a shot. What would be the best position I could fill that would help me learn as much about the the how and why a DP lights and shoots?

Thank you very much for responding and I hope it didn't make the second paragraph too confusing. ;) Thank you

Chris

Do a search of the archives here, it has been discussed numerous times.

I don't mean to be mean, or cause offence but its really silly posting that comment and I've seen it many times on this forum. If your not going to be helpful in at least telling me where to look don't write a comment that doesn't advance my knowledge. I did a search on lens characteristics and didn't find anything I found helpful.

Resectfully

Chris

• Premium Member

Max has posted many times on this very subject -- it comes up regularly. Hence the request that you search the archives thoroughly. It's not all in one neat post but many, many times we've discussed Zeiss vs. Cooke vs. Primo, anamorphic vs. spherical, different anamorphics, different zooms, etc.

We could spend the time searching the archives for you, but we'd just be doing what you should be doing, trying different combinations of key words and whatnot. All I can say is that information is there in the archives, though it may not be what you're looking for specifically -- all you'll get here is mainly opinions, afterall.

Here is one of Max's posts on anamorphics:

http://www.cinematography.com/forum2004/in...?showtopic=4690

In the 35mm Forum, you'll see lots of threads on different lenses. Just do a search under "Cooke" and you'll see lots of threads.

Max has posted many times on this very subject -- it comes up regularly. Hence the request that you search the archives thoroughly. It's not all in one neat post but many, many times we've discussed Zeiss vs. Cooke vs. Primo, anamorphic vs. spherical, different anamorphics, different zooms, etc.

We could spend the time searching the archives for you, but we'd just be doing what you should be doing, trying different combinations of key words and whatnot. All I can say is that information is there in the archives, though it may not be what you're looking for specifically -- all you'll get here is mainly opinions, afterall.

Here is one of Max's posts on anamorphics:

http://www.cinematography.com/forum2004/in...?showtopic=4690

In the 35mm Forum, you'll see lots of threads on different lenses. Just do a search under "Cooke" and you'll see lots of threads.

BTW, has there been any word about when/if the older archives will be brought back? I did a search and found a post by Tim saying that he disabled the link to the archives because the searches were crashing the server. I sent him an email about it and also posted a topic about the archives but didn't get a response from either.

Right now it seems you can only do a search for posts back to about 2004.

• Premium Member

In the camera assistants forum there is one thread currently active, called Cookes vs Ultra Primes.

As long as you do a search with 2 different lens names, say Zeiss and Cooke, you are bound to find information.

In the camera assistants forum there is one thread currently active, called Cookes vs Ultra Primes.

As long as you do a search with 2 different lens names, say Zeiss and Cooke, you are bound to find information.

Thank you guys... I appreciate your help, I meant no disrespect but I was frustrated that the search kept saying no results could be found. I didn't mean to make any one else do all the work for me, I just meant that if you recently posted something or remember reading about it to point me in that direction instead of telling me I should look for it. Becasue obviously were all looking for some thing ;) whether it be questions or answers. Thank you again max and David I do appreciate you help.

Chris Walters