Panasonic�s new ADX4000 1080i 50FPS Camera

Eric Steelberg ASC

Apparently it was announced either today or yesterday at IBC. It wasn't clear who made the announcement first, but Apple said they were going to support "Panasonic?s new ADX4000 1080i 50FPS Camera." I can't find anything else about it. Here's the link on Apple's site:

click here

...and it's also referenced in their Keynote gallery:

Keynote Gallery

I usually only care about new technology insomuch as it can benefit me on set. A 1080i camera from Panasonic, probably in the DVCPro 50 format, intrigues me.

• Premium Member

AJ-HDX400

Here is what I can tell from the Panasonic's Japanese web site:

Records DVCPRO100 HD at the 9 micron EX speed on medium sized tapes. 1080 60i, no 24p. From the pictures, it looks like they stuck an HD camera into the body of an SDX-900.

Here is a link with some pics, but the text is all in Japanese:

http://panasonic.biz/sav/camera/aj-hdx400/aj-hdx400.html

Hi Eric I had a good lok at this cam at IBC and had a helpfull follow up from Steve M at Panasonic.

It is designed as a news camera using varicam camera head and DSP (however on the stand the spec board said it had 12bit A/Ds whereas varicam is 10bit)

Records to low cost tape.

Price £30k

US model will do 60i 59 and 30p, UK model will do 25p and 50i.

Has slow shutter and 15 second memory cache as well as 2 x digital zoom which is an innovative feature and valid for news in HD environment

I rahter liked it, it would be even nicer if it were 1920x1080 imager combined with 4:2:2 1080 codec.

Mike Brennan

• Premium Member

Hi,

What you'll get is a 3:2 pulldown in the usual way, just interpreting the source as 24p rather than 25 in exactly the same way that 24p stuff is shown in PAL. There's actually a transcoding system which uses a field-based 3:2 algorithm to produce better-than-average results on PAL to NTSC conversion, at the expense of making the programme 1/25 longer.

Phil