Reddish complexion and cheeks.

Hello all,

I'll be lighting for an interview in a couple weeks and although I have worked with the subject before, I have not let her. I plan on using a large soft key with just bead board to bounce some fill. Still deciding about kicker/rim. The background will be all black. The subject matter is pretty serious, in this matter she is an "expert" and I would like to make her look as good as possible (obviously).

Here is where I would like some feedback; her complexion is pretty fair, and her cheeks and skin tone in her face is a little red. I feel like she may be a bit self conscious about it. What can I do to help minimize the "redness"? Obviously makeup will be key. I'll be shooting progressive on a DVX, would there be an advantage shooting tungsten verses daylight? Maybe pull some red in camera?

Thanks a lot!

Phil

• Premium Member

You can shoot tungsten -- if her face is a bit red and make-up isn't helping (but it probably will) you could try putting 1/8 CTB on the key light to cool her face off.

Turn off the "Cine-Like" color matrix, which I think tends to boost red chroma in the DVX100.

Simply turning down the overall chroma (color saturation) may help.

• Premium Member

If it's just the cheeks that stand out as a little red (not the overall skintone), you can use a mild cosmetic gel on your key light to even out the skin tone a little. Then in camera you can fine tune the color with the matrix, saturation, and color temperature and/or phase. You'll probably want to back off the saturation a little bit. Cosmetic gel on its own would add even more color to her face, but after you back down the chroma in camera it can all even out and appear more natural.

Thanks Gentlemen,

I appreciate the info. I'll keep the cosmetic gel tip in mind though this time around I'll not have access to any. Turning off the "Cine-Like" setting is certainly a good idea, and I think I'll be futzing with the chroma for sure. I will definately try the CTB on the key, that may be a good idea aesthetically as well.

The shoot is still a ways out, but I'll will try to get a screen grab or a still to post.

Thanks again!