Arri 35 Model 1 complete Kit

Frank Cook

I have an Arriflex Model 1 in excellent condition that needs a collector to save it from being taken to the Alaska bush. I need a camera that has no electronics for use in extreme cold, and I thought I had bought an Arri 35 IIA. Wrong!

post-20846-1181120023_thumb.jpg

This camera is a war model made sometime in the early forties before the Arri factory was bombed by the allied forces (serial number 157x). It is in great condition with matching ID numbers on all of the pieces - including the case, door, and variable speed motor. It has four magazines and the Arri hi-hat. All in a metal case (not an Arri case) A 50mm lens also came with the kit. I have been told not to use these accesseries (not even the lens) on any other model of camera because the Arri changed the camera slightly when they started making the Arri II, and the camera and/or the accessery could be damaged.

I also have been told that the ASC clubhouse has a camera just like this one, but in poorer condition on display, serial number 142x (Since I'm in Alaska, I have not gone to see for myself, but have seen photos of that camera, they are posted in the forums on this site - which is how I am sure of the model of my camera and condition of that camera). The camera has been re-painted at least twice, and it has no Nazi markings. If the paint were removed there might be such marking engraved on the camera. I'm not sure, and I am not going to remove the paint. The name "Arriflex can be seen on the door, but only in bright light at just the right angle. The movement has very little signs of wear. The camera is usable, but this model does not have the super steady registration of a later model. I have not done a registration test.

post-20846-1181119671_thumb.jpg

post-20846-1181119868_thumb.jpg

I need to sell this camera kit to help pay for getting camera that is more suitable for my intended use. I would also consider trades, but could not pay much extra.

It has been brought to my attention that the magazines could be newer than the camera, and the hi-hat is newer for sure as it is marked as "Made in West Germany."

I was looking at the 400' mags very carefully today and found this symbol inside of both of them. Does anyone know what it means?

post-20846-1181201111_thumb.jpg

• Premium Member
I also have been told that the ASC clubhouse has a camera just like this one, but in poorer condition on display, serial number 142x

Actually, #1420 is in very poor condition, but not in the ASC collection. I'm in the process of buying it from a private collector. It looks like it's been through the war, because it has. ;-)

The ASC does have an early Arri, but at this point I don't know whether it's a I or a II. Their curator, Steve Gainer, ASC, is off shooting a feature out of town, and their collection is in temporary storage while they're working on the building.

The first production Arriflex, #500, was in the Samuelson collection for a long time, and recently sold at Christie's in London for US$8,400. The highest Model I serial number I'm aware of is in the 1570's. After the war, they started the Model II at #2000.

-- J.S.

It has been brought to my attention that the magazines could be newer than the camera, and the hi-hat is newer for sure as it is marked as "Made in West Germany."

I was looking at the 400' mags very carefully today and found this symbol inside of both of them. Does anyone know what it means?

post-20846-1181201111_thumb.jpg

A couple of left field suggestions.

A film company logo for a custom run of magazines, based on Germanic runic symbols - remember the famous VW logo?

Perhaps an ID mark for one of the German/nazi government agencies? A technical datum mark of some kind?

Or none of the above!

It's been a slow day.