Owning Color/Res Charts

Chad Stockfleth

• Premium Member

Do many/any of you independent DP's out there own Chroma DuMonde and Resolution/Backfocus charts?

I was considering investing in some, but they are quite expensive.

Also, why do they expire after a couple years?

Hi-

Here's a great, free star chart I use (courtesy Ron Dexter) :)

http://www.rondexter.com/intermediate/equi...cus_pattern.htm

I'm still dragging around an old Fotokem folding color chart, but must admit, the Chroma Dumondes are very nice. I assume they add expirations to account for color fading, in which case my fotokem would be the equivalent of 12 year old cottage cheese.

Do many/any of you independent DP's out there own Chroma DuMonde and Resolution/Backfocus charts?

I was considering investing in some, but they are quite expensive.

Also, why do they expire after a couple years?

Hi Chad,

In response to your "poll", I own both a chroma du monde and a backfocus target.

Yes, they are quite expensive. That said, the chroma du monde chart is a tremendous learning tool, and for me, the only way to see what I'm doing while adjusting the color matrix/color correction/gamma/ped/gain settings to set up a look for a shoot. The really bad news, is that in addition to the chart, you'll need a waveform/vectorscope which costs about 10 times what the chart costs. If you're working with a camera that has firewire out then you might be able to get a software waveform/vectorscope that will work on your laptop. Final Cut Pro may be able to do this as well.

I have tried downloading and printing backfocus charts, but no inkjet printer can reach the resolution necessary to do an accurate backfocus. I use the one with the concentric circles, though I don't know the name of it off hand. This chart works for me better than the "star" charts to pop the viewfinder detailing when performing the back focus. I would at least get the focus chart, if you want sharp images. It's much less expensive than the CduMonde chart (about $50).

That said, many rental houses have the chroma du monde charts. If you're renting a camera, you could use the chart and their waveform to set up the camera before going out into the field. I will mention that I've spent hours examining the effect of the paint controls while looking at the chart and the waveform to get the look that I've wanted. Now that I've done it a bit, I don't need to spend too much time with it anymore, but it's the best learning tool. The chroma du monde seems pretty unique in that the colors are made to line up with the boxes on the vector scope and the in-between colors are equidistant from the primaries that line up in the boxes (if you want them lined up in the boxes). Also the grayscale is truly neutral and it's the only target I'll white balance on if I'm using the auto white balance.

Feel free to ask if you have any more questions.

-bruce

Hi,

You can have the basics if you cannot afford a premium chart

There´s a fuji gray chart (pretty cheap) that have a plus of colour and gray patches: gray 18% and +1, +2, +2.5, -1, -2, and -2.5 stops. R, G, B, C, M and Y.

What about the gretag macbeth color checker?

It´s very popular in film production and still photography.

I know the colours could not be SMPTE colours, but you can use it anyway to adjust the matrix of any camera. It would be useful to know how a camera adjusted with a DSC chart display the macbeth chart to have a good reference.

I borrowed a DCS labs chart from a friend (pretty expensive) for some jobs, but I´m sure I can have the work done (regarding colorimetry) with the macbeth chart (I´m in the way to getting my own, U$ 67 at Amazon.com).

I´m planning to do some test of resolution/focus charts in photographic prints too.

So may be a SMPTE standard 11 steps grayscale in combination with the macbeth chart, plus printed resolution/focus charts is a good alternative combo. ;)

The grayscale chart is probably more difficult to produce, but may be with photographic prints you could computer design one that works (at least to set a good baseline for gamma, knee, ped). You should test it with a well calibrated spotmeter first.

Best regards

Alejandro

What I have collected through the web (I cannot remember the sites):

Chart_EIA1956.pdf

• 2 weeks later...