Filming the public

Geoffrey Sexton

I have always had a lot of trouble dealing with strangers and private property when filming on nearly any location. Most of the time it is businesses that are intolerant of my filming. I find that taking advantage of a first warning before even asking permission is the best attempt one can make. Unless I am going to film a scene that requires total co-operation on behalf of the land owners I don't usually even waste my time.

So my questions which pertain to this are:

1. How do you go about filming on private property if you don't need to set up equipment and actors?

2. How do you go about filming on private property if you do need to set up equipment and actors?

3. How do you go about filming individuals in an environment where they are unaware of you, (such as a subway)? Cut a hole for a lens in a bag?

(Please feel free to give any helpful advice regarding this issue. I could list many more than just three questions.)

Edited by Geoffrey Sexton

Basically, its very simple.

You ALWAYS ask before filming on private property. Its simple good manners, it doesn't cause trouble for the next person who comes along wanting to film there and lastly, they can stop you from using the footage if you didn't get permission to film there.

I know that sounds strong, but I hold quite a strong opinion on this issue. You have no idea how much grief you might be causing the next person who wants to film on that location.

If you are genuinely not sure, then you may be able to take advantage of a first warning... but in the long run you are doing yourself a favour if you try & keep eveything above board.

So my answer to the first 2 parts of your question is pretty simple; you ask for permission. If you get it, good, if not, go elsewhwere or improvise.

Filming members of the public, in public spaces, is another kettle of fish altogether. Different countries, states and cities have different rules, so I can't really comment on that.

End use of the footage has a large impact on what you can & cannot do. So if you provided a little more detail about what you are doing with this footage, we might be able to be a little more helpful.

Though I cannot help but think that running around with a concealed camera isn't really a smart thing to do these days, particularly in a public transit system like the subway :unsure:

Edited by Daniel Sheehy

Basically, its very simple.

You ALWAYS ask before filming on private property. Its simple good manners, it doesn't cause trouble for the next person who comes along wanting to film there and lastly, they can stop you from using the footage if you didn't get permission to film there.

I know that sounds strong, but I hold quite a strong opinion on this issue. You have no idea how much grief you might be causing the next person who wants to film on that location.

If you are genuinely not sure, then you may be able to take advantage of a first warning... but in the long run you are doing yourself a favour if you try & keep eveything above board.

So my answer to the first 2 parts of your question is pretty simple; you ask for permission. If you get it, good, if not, go elsewhwere or improvise.

Filming members of the public, in public spaces, is another kettle of fish altogether. Different countries, states and cities have different rules, so I can't really comment on that.

End use of the footage has a large impact on what you can & cannot do. So if you provided a little more detail about what you are doing with this footage, we might be able to be a little more helpful.

Though I cannot help but think that running around with a concealed camera isn't really a smart thing to do these days, particularly in a public transit system like the subway :unsure:

I'm working on a short film I'm going to submit to film festivals. I'll go out seeking various exteriors and then film people going to their daily activities. I want advice for this since I plan to go to a lot of different places in the southern United States and I would like to avoid getting arrested or killed if at all possible. My best idea would be to try to film with a zoom lens from my car.

Another thing I want to do is film a scene in an abandoned house. During the day it isn't a problem, but at night I would like to set up a lot of lights inside using my car battery to power them. I wonder if this is a possible thing to do not only technically but without cops decending on us.

However, I'm also asking these questions in regards to future projects. Since, I'm always financing my films out of my own pocket I guess I don't appear very serious or worth the time to most business managers. If I were to want to film in a room of an old apartment building, (which is now a retirement home), how would I go about this successfully? Do I contact the local film commission?

Edited by Geoffrey Sexton

My best idea would be to try to film with a zoom lens from my car.

I personally feel that it is better to be fairly open about what you're doing, even if you don't want people to notice or stare. Reason being is that if you are relaxed and look confident about what you're doing, you attract less attention than if you look like you really don't want to be seen.

Probably better to cop the odd 'F%*k off!' than have somebody decide that you are up to no good and rally everyone to run you off.

• 3 weeks later...

The way I see it is if you shoot the property from outside as background with out using any of the interior it should be no problem, when shooting people out side if they are on public streets and side walk.. If they don?t want to be on the shot GET OUT OF THE WAY! :angry: Now with places if the shot is with your character walking by it shouldn?t be a problem unless he/she is going in. <_<

I went and ask for permission to use the front yard of a house they say no but if I shoot on the street they can?t say anything. Of course without shooting into their house :ph34r: , but is always good to ask first out of courtesy. :lol:

Edited by JTH

• Premium Member
Does anyone know what "a beat" means on a moive script?

It's sort of a vague term describing a moment, a small turning point or twist, almost anything where one should sense a change happening, like an "emotional beat".

It also vaguely refers to tempo, that a scene has a rhythm to it made up of beats of actions or feelings, and sometimes the certain beats are off or missing when the scene isn't working.

It also can refer to an actual pause, "taking a beat" -- a character taking a moment to absorb some information and react emotionally.

Sometimes when an actor is running through a scene and not letting those emotional transitions and reactions happen or show, it's called "missing the beat(s)".

Does anyone know what "a beat" means on a moive script?

If this thread was written as a script, you might need to insert (beat) before your message.

Scripts spell out the dialogue, and are much more sketchy on other stuff. So if nothing is being said or done, a writer might feel the need to say so. A "beat" describes a pause when an actor (and the audience) digests a thought, or expresses a change of emotion. Sometimes it is a kind of punctuation mark to indiucate a change of subject (hence my comment about this thread - you might get more replies to this if you started a new thread with a relevant topic line).

If a script, and the actors and director, are any good, most beats shouldn't need to be written in. It's a lame way for the writer to tell the actor how to play the scene.