72/5285

Mate Widamon

In the film 'The Life Aquatic', the mock nature documentary footage was apparently shot on some sort of Ektachrome film stock. And the rest of the movie was shot on negative film. I think you will find it challenging to find a feature film that was shot completely on Ektachrome or any reversal film stock for that matter.

Tony Scott's Man on Fire was all 5285. Domino used it also, but also used a lot of cross-processed 5285. Both used digital intermediate to help with the high contrast issues. The low budget Buffalo 66 was shot on an old, video news film reversal 5239 160T. They had to flash and post-flash the negative to control the blown-out highlights. Source: New Cinematographers, Axel Ballinger.

• Premium Member
Tony Scott's Man on Fire was all 5285. Domino used it also, but also used a lot of cross-processed 5285.

"Man of Fire" wasn't all 5285 and what was, was cross-processed.

The only significant use of normally processed 5285 that I can recall was the childhood scenes in "Blow" but that was shot in anamorphic. There may have also been some normal 5285 in "Son of Sam", also shot by Ellen Kuras, but that may have been cross-processed.

• Premium Member

Thanks very much, I'll watch these films.

Also, seems I can get some Fujichrome 64T in 16mm to test. See how it intercuts with the exterieur shots on 7285.

I'll let you know.

Rgds,

• Premium Member

Hi,

Thanks again, I have watched the above mentioned films. I found 7285 crossprocessed way too rough and contrasty for my dream sequences

I loved the childhood parts in 'Blow", but that is 5285 anamorphic. Despite this is a Daylight stock a found the interieurs stunning beautiful, having that 'original slide photo feeling'. However outside I found less details in the faces and a touch of too much redish magenta. Do you think the interiers were corrected to tungsten and shot under 25asa (perhaps pushed to 50asa) or lit with HMI-s?

I would not think that you can get rid off that much yellow in telecine if you shoot under 3200K on 100D Ektachrome, I'll try it on the test.

How much of its character do you think 7285 (processed E-6) looses on telecine? Would you advise me to scan it directly or should I get a dup.negative first? (The film ends up 35mm print for screen through DI)

Thanks,