Konvas Ocular Question

Michael Melson

Yet another question about the 'ol Konvas 1m.

Is it possible to mount a newer jointed ocular on a Konvas that originally came with the straight ocular.

With the straight ocular and the 400' mag on I can't seat my eye on the ocular correctly. Maybe its just my fat head.

Can you swap out the oculars?

Regular

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c356/mic...r/three-bay.jpg

Jointed

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c356/mic.../three-bay2.jpg

• Premium Member
Yet another question about the 'ol Konvas 1m.

Is it possible to mount a newer jointed ocular on a Konvas that originally came with the straight ocular.

With the straight ocular and the 400' mag on I can't seat my eye on the ocular correctly. Maybe its just my fat head.

I'm sure Olex will weigh in on this, but that older 1M in your picture will not take the jointed viewfinder. And I believe the camera was designed to use the small mags. The 400' mags came out with the later (black) cameras. That may explain the head clearance problem.

-Bruce

Frankly speaking, i not understand a your problem.

If you have Konvas-1M, 1KSR-1M camera, you must have adjustable viewfinder.

You can adjust of viewfinder for left or for right eye.

The viewfinder can be turn on 90 degree and move from magazine on 80..90 mm

If you have Konvas with straight viewfinder, this must be Konvas-1, KSR-1M camera

If you have Konvas-1M with viewfinder from Konvas -1 camera, this not original set.

Possible, you have disanamorphic viewfinder ?

The disanamorphic ( straight viewfinder ) compatible with Konvas-1, 1M, 2M cameras.

You can send of pictures from your camera on my direct e-mail and i will see, what version of camera and viewfinder you have.

Olex, I think if you take a look at the pictures on his post, you will see the problem. He does not have an 1M, he has the earlier version of the reostate 6 volt motor Konvas with a straight tubed viewfinder,(1KCP in in the Russian alphabit) the same type I have. He wants to know if a 1m adjustable viewfinder can be adapted to the earier Knovas so that can he can use 400 ft mags. As it is now, the straight tubed viewfinder, will allow the 400 foot mag to seat into the older camera, but the eyepiece is pressed against the side of the 400 foot mag and he is unable to see though it because he can't get his eye close enough the look through it with the 400 foot mag on the camera.

A newer style 1m adjustable viewfinder designed to work with 400 foot mags would solve his problem if it can be adapted to the older model Konvas. I would also like to know if this is possible because although I can get my eye close enough to see though the viewfinder, it is uncomfortable to do so, so I have also considered this modification as well. 400 foot mags make using the older Knovas much more practical because they will work with standard western filmstock cores and do not have to be changed nearly as often as 200 foot mags. My Knovas is in almost new condition dispite it's age and the package is absolutely complete except for the very rare spring powered motor, so I want to use it.

I also had another question that's a little off topic, but I wanted to know. I have the standard (I'm assuming this is standard) 5 lenses that came with the package, 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm and 135mm, are there any other mouse-ear lenses availble that fit this camera and is there an original matte box available for the camera? Thanks. B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly

Olex, I think if you take a look at the pictures on his post, you will see the problem. He does not have an 1M, he has the earlier version of the reostate 6 volt motor Konvas with a straight tubed viewfinder,(1KCP in in the Russian alphabit) the same type I have. He wants to know if a 1m adjustable viewfinder can be adapted to the earier Knovas so that can he can use 400 ft mags.

Konvas-1 ( KSR-1, KSR-1M) have straight tubed viewfinder only.

This can be spherical or disanamorphic videfinder, but, straight only.

The next version of adjustable viewfinder of Konvas-1M ( 1KSR-1M ) and Konvas-2M ( 1 KSR-2M ) have other design of viewfinder mount.

That's why, Konvas-1M viewfinder not compatible with Konvas-1 camera.

At first idea. Konvas-1 create for 60 m magazines ( basic version ) and 120 m magazines will additional devices only. Because, Konvas-1 was as press ( documentary ) cine camera.

Theoretically, possible, modify of body of Konvas-1 for adjustable viewfinder and replace of left party of body from Konvas-1 on Konvas-1M version.

But, You can to take of this is spare part from Konvas-1M ( 2M ) broken body only, and

I worry about full compatible of left part of body Konvas-1 and Konvas-1M/ 2M.

And

Konvas-1 body have mechanical speed control device ( small tube lower side of viewfinder ).

This is device can be use for adjust of speed with rheostat motor or with mechanical spring motor.

Konvas-1M, 2M don't have mechanical speed control device and haves speedometer on this place.

Other idea, modify of viewfinder of Konvas-1M/2M camera for conenct with Konvas-1.

But, i don't have answer, because, need study of drafts and parts detailed.

Will need study of optical diagrams of Konvas-1 and Konvas-1M/2M too.

Yes, the spring powered motor super rare device, i had a few at my service only for all time.

This motors had " military documentary " camera sets only.

I also had another question that's a little off topic, but I wanted to know. I have the standard (I'm assuming this is standard) 5 lenses that came with the package, 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm and 135mm, are there any other mouse-ear lenses availble that fit this camera and is there an original matte box available for the camera? Thanks. B)

The standard set of Konvas-1, 1M had 35 mm, 50 mm, 75 mm, 135 mm lenses only.

All other lenses delivery at special order only.

This can be 22 mm, 28 mm.

For Konvas-1/1M created

16 mm 35 OKS-1-16-1

18 mm 35 OKS-1-18-1

A some optical technicians to modify of 28 mm lens on 15 mm super wide angle version.

If you need more long lenses, i can recommend to use photo lenses of medium format photo cameras Pentacon Six, Kiev-60 with mount adapter.

I use of similar mount adapter with lenses a long time and many my customers use similar device too.

This is Konvas-1M with Jupiter-36 250 mm F3.5 lens of Kiev-60.

You can use lenses from Kiev-60 and Pentacon -6:

Russian Volna-3, MC 80 mm F2.8

Carl Zeiss Biometar MC, 80 mm F2.8

Russian Vega-28 120 mm F2.8

Carl Ziess 120 mm F2.8 from Pentacon-6

Russian Kaleynar-3 150 mm F2.8

Carl Ziess Sonnar 180 mm F2.8

Russian Jupiter-36 250 mm F3.5

Carl Zeiss Sonnar 300 mm, 600 mm.

And, Now, we can use of great ukrainian shift-tilt lenses Hartblei Super rotator too.

http://www.hartblei.com/lenses/general_info.htm

You can read of information, what need use of shift-tilt lenses,

http://www.hartblei.com/reviews/reviews.htm

The similar use at cine shooting too.

Hartblei lenses can have Pentacon-6/Kiev-60 lens mount.

The good choose of modern ukrainian ARSAT lenses.

The many russian zoom lenses have versions for Konvas-1, 1M.

This can be :

Foton 37-140 mm,

35 OPF-7 25-250 mm

Lenar 40-162 mm

Rubin 37-80 mm

P.S

After a some measuring and pilot analysis of draft of viewfinder of Konvas-1 and Konvas-1M,

I think, possible of modify of viewfinder mount of Konvas-1 camera at profile and size of mount of 1M/2M.

But, need compare of drafts of Konvas-1 and 1M versions of viewfinder mount detailed and create of modification with drafts.

This can be real way of modification.