I know alot of people probably won't post to this. I just I'm really need to everything about cinematography and there's just so much that I don't know. Just anyone who's willing to help me you know. Cinematography 101 please just you know send me a message. Any help will be appreciated. Thx so much guys.

Tommy

I have a only a moderate amount of cinematograhy knowlege but one thing I do know is that you are unlikley to get useful responses to your post. If it were in the Frst Time Flimmaker section rather than the General section it would be slightly more imaginable.

Even there, someone is much more likely to get a response to a particular question rather than "tell me everything". However, if you don't have that specific of a question right now, a new person who says "I have read the FAQs, perused the archives, read xyz book and am thinking of starting a project involving abc issues and constraints" and then asks for fairly general help has at least outlined where their starting point is and the context in which they are looking for help. Hope this advice on asking for advice is helpful.

• Premium Member

You want people to take the time to post essentially a course in cinematography for you, but you can't take the time to write out the word "Please" or write a coherent question in the first place?

All that said, this entire forum is in place to give what you are looking for. Just start reading all the questions posted here, they cover everything you can imagine on all aspects of cinematography.

Kevin Zanit

• Premium Member

You can't teach someone an entire subject in a couple of internet posts or by email.

This forum is good for answering specific questions to clarify something, not teach entire principles / concepts -- you should read some textbooks first and do some shooting as well. And then we can help you along the way when something is unclear.

Tommy,

I can't help you so much with cinematography, but I have learned how to gain knowledge from this forum. I have found this forum very useful, but the people who can help aren't going to take the time to throw out whatever knowledge they have, becuase it would take hours for them to write it and the writing would fill many books. However, if you begin to experiment and learn, and then ask questions, getting specific as possible, then I have found that many people are willing to help you. But you need to make an effort, do some stuff, read some stuff, and perhaps browse the posts and soak up knowledge, then come back and when you need help, ask specific questions.

Another thing, I have observed that direct, clear questions with decent grammar and spelling get anwers more readily than questions where the writer doesn't seem to take his own work seriously.

What part of cinematography are you most interested in, by the way?