Geared head "whip pan"

• Premium Member
It takes too much time to do the switch is usually the reason. Also the operator usually will want to switch back on the next shot.

Did you read the rest of the thread before replying? Specifically, did you read the 4 posts immediately following the post you replied to? Your point has been already made and responded to.

Honestly, it only takes a few seconds to change a head with a decent crew. Think ahead a bit (and possibly hire better assistants) and there will be no time lost. I just don't think this is a good reason to use the wrong head for the shot. If you really prefer the wheels for such a move then that is one thing, but it's a whole different story if you are not changing only because your assistants are too slow.

I can't even count how many times we have changed heads repeatedly during a sequence. I've never seen it become an issue, time-wise.

To each their own, sorry for beating a dead horse. Great job Glenn, btw.

Edited by Simon Miya

• Premium Member
Also wide lenses require very fast whip pans for the effect to work and these would never work well with a geared head, of course in my opinion only.

-bruce

Very good point. At a certain point with wide lenses a fluid head is definately necessary.