Negative color

Mike Rizos

I will be shooting 5 rolls of Pro8/05 which is a 250D film this weekend. First shoot with negative films in 8mm. I'll be sending it to Justin Lovell in Cana-da for transfer to DVCam after it comes back from Pro8 processing. I want to check the density and be sure we have something useful before TC. Just another short film project.

I'll post links to the finished piece when we get done with it. We'll be using my Canon 814XL-S I had sent to Bernie at Super16Inc for a tuneup a while back. We may supplement the natural dusky sunlight with a fluorescent fixture from an old Smith Victor photo light and a 100W output twisted tube daylight full spectrum lamp running off an inverter from my car. We're shooting in a remote location without AC power.

My chosen DP tested the lamp for flicker in 24fps and he tells me he doesn't see any flicker in his test film.

More later. Pro8 has the biggest selection of negative films. It's pricey considering you end up with a negative but it's what's out there. We're shooting it for the latitude vs Ektachrome. I did find an interesting loophole in pricing...if you order from Film Emporium, shipping seems a lot cheaper. I picked up 4 rolls for $130. They charged $10 for shipping and it drop ships directly from Pro8. I have always gotten the film within a week of ordering. Oddly they ship my stuff FedEx Ground but Pro8mm advertises UPS Ground at just over $3 more for the same shipping. Besides, I like Film Emporium. Their prices have always been good for me.

Sean