HELP!! Super16 film back to HD after cut in FCP!!!

Kirk Anderson

I'm editing a super16 short. Budget was over $30,000 and this is my first edit of this caliber. I intially captured all the HD footage from DV, not miniDV, tapes into my FCP at 24 fps using a sony deck. I then linked all the sound and made a first cut. Now, another more experienced editor is telling me everything was captured wrong and must be re-captured in order to have the master cut be in HD. Something about how HD only reads zeros and fives??!! I'm way confused and now I have to start all over. How should I capture this footage in order to have the master cut in HD? I have cinema tools but haven't used it. Anyone know exact settings I need to use in order to capture footage correctly and be able to have the master be HD. Everyone feels that after spending this amount of money on a film it would be a waste to finish in DV, especially after the expensive HD telecine from fotokem.

any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Kirk

Hey Kirk, what settings did you use to capture the footage? You can find out, if you control click on one of the clips and then look at Item Properties, format.

It looks like the easy fix would be to just save your edit and then using Media Manager to recapture the clips in your timeline at the new capture settings.

As for being hung up on HD, what exactly is your release medium? As of right now no one has a HD-DVD or BluRay burner, so you can't release it on DVD in HD anyway.

As for Cinema Tools, you should check first what the fps rate is on the footage on your DV tape.

I'm editing a super16 short. Budget was over $30,000 and this is my first edit of this caliber. I intially captured all the HD footage from DV, not miniDV, tapes into my FCP at 24 fps using a sony deck. I then linked all the sound and made a first cut. Now, another more experienced editor is telling me everything was captured wrong and must be re-captured in order to have the master cut be in HD. Something about how HD only reads zeros and fives??!! I'm way confused and now I have to start all over. How should I capture this footage in order to have the master cut in HD? I have cinema tools but haven't used it. Anyone know exact settings I need to use in order to capture footage correctly and be able to have the master be HD. Everyone feels that after spending this amount of money on a film it would be a waste to finish in DV, especially after the expensive HD telecine from fotokem.

Kirk

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Kirk

provide more information and i can probably help. for a start i cannot think how you transfered hd to dv at 24fps. so what was the process? what decks did you use? did you transfer over firewire? what version of fcp are you using?.....