Video Rear-Projection on 16mm shoot

Theodore Bunnz

I am planning on shooting a dance performance which is going to have a rear screen video projection going on behind them during the dance. Has any one here done this before? I'm aware that compositing is probably the cleanest way to accomplish a similar effect, but I am interested in exploring this idea and capturing it without post work, and I am wondering if anyone has experience in this department. Specifically, in how it is different than rear-projection film? For insatnce, when the video projector is turned on but the image is black, it will still be projecting some light while if they were using a film projector that wouldn't happen...

Any advice would be great

Edited by Theodore Bunnz

when ever i've done video for live theater

the lighting designer is always very happy

when i rig a means to cover the projector lens when it's not in use...

a simple pulley with a flap that allows complete black,

or even an old p.c. cd tray which has the eject motor intact

can be remotely switched.

the thing about shooting the dance with the projected video

is that you will have no control

over how bright the dancers are in relation (proportionally) to the video.

whereas if you composite you can set levels for both in post.

it all depends on how much you get to work with the lighting designer/ board op

to see what the video and dancers look like together for your camera,

which can be very different than for an audiences eye.

are you documenting a live theatrical performance

or going into a space just for the shoot?

Sorry, I haven't checke dhtis in a while no one was repsonding. The shoot is approaching. I'm going into the space just to shoot, although there will be a small audience present. The director is pretty hooked on the idea of the live video projector, and shooting on film. I guess I just need to light the dancers to be brighter than the screen, and, worry about the trakcing lines on the projector.

Do projectors project at the same frame rate as TVs display?

• Site Sponsor
Sorry, I haven't checke dhtis in a while no one was repsonding. The shoot is approaching. I'm going into the space just to shoot, although there will be a small audience present. The director is pretty hooked on the idea of the live video projector, and shooting on film. I guess I just need to light the dancers to be brighter than the screen, and, worry about the trakcing lines on the projector.

Do projectors project at the same frame rate as TVs display?

I think you can do very well with a newer LCD projector which will not have flicker issues and with rear projection it will look cleaner than a post production insert.

I would say any newer high brightness LCD projector will work, I don't know about DLP as many projectors have color wheels and may have slight flicker issues (or they may not) you can adjust projector brightness with the internal controls and or ND in front of the lens.

-Rob-