Be carefull if digitising from camera

Mike Brennan

Confusion, posturing and adverts.

Sony tech manual says HDSDI output option on f900r is monitoring only.

Recent tests in USA with f900R do indicate HDSDI output is noiser than HD deck.

BUT

The glossy brochures say the camera can be used to feed an NLE!

Mike Brennan

• Premium Member

Hi,

> Recent tests in USA with f900R do indicate HDSDI output is noiser than HD deck.

Wha?

How on earth can that be?

The only way that can be is if they're using a cut-down HDCAM codec to decode it.

Which is sloppy.

Phil

Where exactly in the manual (maintenence manual?) does it state this?

We recently got a complaint from one of our clients that they were experiencing too much noise when recording the output of the f900r to the SRW1. I'd like to find some more information about why this is.

They have either done it on purpose to encourage use of decks, or it is a fault.

Comparing HDSDI output from inboard output of HDW900r with the output from a Miranda or Evertz adaptor would be straight forward.

Any takers?

Mike Brennan

:blink: :blink: :blink: :lol:

In the operations manual I find no mention of the HDSDI being "only" for monitoring. I did do a test recording on board and recording to an f500 and I didn't see any visible difference.

I should have written "Sony maintenance manual *apparently* mentions that HDSDI is for monitoring only" as I havent seen it with my own eyes but this was mentioned by USA HD expert in his recent investigation following noise complaints.

Shaun, I'm glad it isnt presenting a problem for you when recording to HDCAM.

Did a split sreen of the recording from camera alongside the recording from the deck show any differences?

I wonder if HDCAM is too noisey to use as a reference when the complaints are about 4:2:2 low compression 10bit recordings?

You mentioned that one of your clients found the output of the f900r noisy when recorded into SRW1.

The relevant test is to fit a Miranda 902 or Evertz box to the back of the f900r and compare this output with output from HDSDI board inside the camera.

Mike Brennan