Gamma and matrix settings

Paul Pelalas

Recently I have been hired to shoot a feature for festival and dvd release. My

question is when faced with the overwhelming amount of options and settings on

my DVX 100a, should I use the in camera settings or shoot more neutral and let those decisions be chosen in post. For example I could choose to set scence file 6, then the gamma settings , normal or cine like d, color matrix, peds etc..

Would'nt setting the camera to the more neutral normal ranges seem a better choice? A master thats not very in camera processed just seems to be to be a better master to hand the clients and editor, since they may have more options to work with than if I say do in camera coloring and film look processing and they don't like the look or can't go back to a more neutral base to tweak or work with.

• Premium Member

It all depends on so many factors, like whether you'll stick to what look you create in-camera or need to make radical alterations in post. And what color-correction set-up you will be using in post.

With the high compression of DV recordings, there is a good argument to be made for creating the look in-camera and doing only minimal adjustments in post.

In general, whether for digital or film, I tend to subscribe to the half-n-half theory -- i.e. create half the look in-camera and finish it in post. But that supposes a good color-correction system for post.

In terms of contrast, it's easier to add a little in post than to remove it, so I would tend to use the lower-contrast gamma settings OR use a little more fill light and then crush the blacks a little in post.

• Premium Member

Hi,

What he said.

However, I'm a little cautious about things like crushing blacks in post. Anything which stretches the range out will begin to add contrast to compression artifacts, so no matter what you do, it's always going to help to do stuff in camera. I like contrasty images with deep blacks, so I often find myself doing this, and it does show up horribly.

I have a personal policy of always shooting with the "hi sat" preset I programmed into my camera, with the thought that grey autumnal UK days need it, and the colour channels are already compressed to hell so let's send a little more information their way.

Phil